Giant, Giant Granny Square Blanket

As a child we often travelled to my maternal grandparent's house for the holidays. I loved my Grandma Cordelia's old house, especially all of its treasure-filled nooks and crannies and all of the big beds deep with homemade blankets, quilts and coverlets.

Sleeping in the cozy attic bedroom with my teenaged cousins, Marci and Shelly, was always the highlight for me. I loved eavesdropping on them talking about Leif Garrett, Shawn Cassidy and other exciting grown up stuff.

This holiday, in memory of Cordelia's snug house, I worked up my Giant, Giant Granny Square Blanket that would be equally at home in her house as in a Williamsburg, Brooklyn artist's loft.  I used our new Super Soft Merino in each of its 12 colors for a super soft, super warm and super welcoming blanket, perfect for all of your holiday guests!

Here's to a house full of cozy guests! --Joelle

Giant, Giant Granny Square Size

To make the blanket in the same size as above, but all one color, you'll need 53 skeins of Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino.

To make the blanket exactly like the one here, you'll need 58 skeins of  Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino in the following colors:

• 28 skeins of Heirloom White
  • 1 skein Yellow Yellow
  • 1 skein Extra Green
  • 2 skeins Desert Blue
  • 2 skeins Peacock Blue
  • 3 skeins Timeless Navy (only wind two, I only needed a few yards of the third so you may not need it)
  • 3 skeins Soft Black
  • 3 skeins Toasted Charcoal
  • 3 skeins Oyster Gray
  • 4 skeins Red Zinnia (only wind three, I only needed a few yards of the fourth so you may not need it)
  • 4 skeins Clementine Orange
  • 4 skeins Super Pink

Very Large Size

To make the blanket in a Very Large Size, you'll need...

• 16 skeins Heirloom White
  • 1 skein Yellow Yellow
  • 1 skein Extra Green
  • 1 skein Desert Blue
  • 1 skein Peacock Blue
  • 2 skeins Timeless Navy
  • 2 skeins Soft Black
  • 3 skeins Toasted Charcoal (only wind two, you may not need the third)
  • 3 skeins Oyster Gray
  • 3 skeins Red Zinnia
  • 3 skeins Clementine Orange
  • 4 skeins Hot Pink (only wind three, you may not need the fourth)

Throw Size

To make the blanket in a Throw Size, you'll need...

• 12 skeins of Heirloom White
  • 1 skein of the first stripe color
  • 2 skeins of the second, third and fourth colors
  • 3 skeins of the fifth and sixth colors

Baby Size

To make the blanket in a Baby Blanket Size, you'll need...

• 6 skeins of Heirloom White
  • 1 skein of the first stripe color
  • 2 skeins of the second and third stripe colors

All Sizes

You will also need...

Approximately 2 3/4 double crochets = 1 inch

Sizes

4 sizes total:

Giant Giant Blanket (pictured above), measuring approximately 108 x 108. Pattern also includes includes three variations... a Very Large Blanket, a Throw Blanket and a Baby Blanket.

Note

This blanket is simply an enormous granny square! To learn how to make a basic Granny Square, visit our Tutorial right here. Then...

Patterns

Begin

Begin by making 10 rounds with Heirloom White.

Then work 2 rounds of each of the following colors, with 2 rounds of Heirloom White in between:

Yellow Yellow, Extra Green, Desert Blue, Peacock Blue, Timeless Navy, Soft Black, Toasted Charcoal, Oyster Gray, Red Zinnia, Clementine Orange, and Super Pink. Finish with two rounds of Heirloom White.

Variation 1: Very Large Blanket

The original blanket ended up being truly giant! If you want a very large blanket but not a giant blanket we promise that the version below is quite enough! Finished measurements: approximately 84-inches x 84-inches.

For a blanket in the same colors as above, begin by doing only 2 rounds of Heirloom White in the center instead of 10.

Variation 2: Throw Blanket

For a throw size blanket, use your 6 favorite stripe colors from the pattern above:

Begin with 10 rounds of heirloom white, then alternate two rows of color with 2 rounds of Heirloom White, ending with 2 rounds of Heirloom White.

Variation 3: Baby Blanket

For a baby size blanket, use your 3 favorite stripe colors from the pattern above:

37 Responses to Giant, Giant Granny Square Blanket

1. Cathy Goldman says:

I've made these as well. If you want to make it rectangular just make two equal sized squares, join them at one end and then start going around and around….one beautiful rectangle to fit the bed…..cg

2. Maria says:

Hi,
    I love everything about u!!!!
    I would like to know if i can do this project for a baby blanket?
    How many skeins?
    Thank you so much for bringing beauty and a breath of fresh air every week into my life!
    Maria Angela

Hi Maria-

Thank you so much for your nice comment! Joelle recommends that you get 1/4 of the yarn for a baby blanket.

4. OlofDrofn says:

Wow. Love the colors! If I didn´t have too many project going on and not on a yarn diets then this project would be on my list! How fun.

5. Georgina Giles says:

Wow what a beautiful blanket – and so very neat! I love that you have used each of the colours, it makes a great focal point for any room. I love the way that you talk about your childhood memories, I'm hand stitching an heirloom quilt which will take me many years to complete – inspired by my Mum.

Georgina x

6. Theresa says:

Do you join a new strand of yarn for every row as the tutorial shows? If not, how to start the next round with the same strand?

7. Kristie says:

I love this blanket!! I started making it this morning using a size “N” hook as the craft store I was at was out of “P”. My work is looking very loose and sloppy compared to the picture. Any advice??

Hi Kristie-

Tension and gauge is specific to each individual so you might need to use a smaller hook.

Let us know if that helps!

9. Bex says:

I love love LOVE this!! So simple, but so effective. Also love the nightstand in the final picture – could you share with me where it's from please? Thanks!!

10. Susan says:

Thank you for this pattern! It looks perfect for my son's room! : )

11. Victoria says:

Hey I love this pattern and i'm making a baby blanket for my twin cousins on the way and what are the measurements for a baby blanket?

Hi Victoria-

There is no standard measurement for a baby blanket but anywhere from 28 to 32 inches square seems about right.

Thank you for your question!

Hi Bex-

The night stand is from Ikea but we don't believe it's available any longer. Sorry!

14. CocoFlower says:

♥♥♥ Amazing work . I imagine the time to make that :). I make with the same type of granny stripe a baby blanket. And it's so long to make hahaha

15. E Strea Chikitu says:

absolutely stunning!

16. Mandicraft says:

Thank you for posting this. I'm definitely making one of those this year :)

17. Anna says:

I am thinking of making this blanket in the Very Large size out of Cascade Superwash 128. How many skeins would be necessary to do it in white with only two different stripe colors? Thanks!

Hi Anna-

Joelle suggests approximately 12 skeins of the natural color, and approximately 6 or 7 skeins of each of the two stripe colors (if colors are used evenly). She also suggests buying a couple of extra skeins in each color in case you run out mid blanket. You can always return them for store credit if they aren't wound into balls.

Thanks so much for the great question!

19. Lori Kramer says:

Lovely blanket! Your Giant, Giant Granny Square Blanket looks so straight. How do you keep the center from tilting to the side?

Hi Lori-

It shouldn't tilt to the side if you're making a standard granny square. If yours is tilting it sounds like there might be something wrong with not making a chain stitch between groups of 3 dc or maybe something funny is going on at the corner. Here is a link to our granny square tutorial:

Hopefully it can help you figure it out!

Thanks for writing in!

21. Tita Carré says:

Oi amiga, adorei todas as novidades do teu blog, fazia algum tempo que não passava por aqui, gostei de tudo mesmo,passe no meu blog sobre artesanato em geral e deixe um comentário se gostar do que encontrar, beijokas

22. fr.dots says:

Hi there, thank you so much for inspireing me, just finished and gave away a blanket for our friens newborn son.

I shared a foto and a link to your tutorial.

Greetings from vienna, Claudia

23. Kristen says:

I must say….I just love this site! So many wonderful ideas and I just learned how to crochet so I ordered all the yarn needed to make the "large" blanket (not the really large one) and wondered if I could use a smaller hook than "P" and still make it look as nice as yours.

Hi Kristen-

A hook or needle size is just a suggestion. You should use whatever hook size you need to get the correct gauge, which in this case is approximately 2 3/4 double crochets = 1 inch.

Thanks so much for writing in and please let us know if you have any more questions!

25. Hilary says:

I'm in love with this idea! I'm moving in a month and feel the itch to revamp my decor. This might be my new project.

Any recommendations for a more economical yarn? I just did the math, and at a minimum of 53 skeins x $20, there's no way I can make something this large. My husband's a student and we have a baby, so there won't be any $1000 granny square blankets in my future. :) I bet it's lucious, though!

Hi Hilary-

We totally understand the cost concern. Unfortunately we don't carry any other yarn in this weight so we can't give an exact substitution. However, if you wanted to use a different sized yarn the pattern will still work. You just have to make sure you're using the correct sized hook for your yarn. Here are some suggestions that would make a great blanket:

This would be machine washable! http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/6355-Cascade-Yarns-Superwash-128

And this would be even more chunky that the original so it would take less time:

Thanks for writing in!

27. Kate says:

I just love this blanket and am going to make the throw size for my grandsons 1st birthday. Do you have any idea what size it will end up and I was wondering if there is a way of making the gaps a little smaller to reduce little fingers and toes poking through – smaller hook? Cheers, Kate

Hi Kate,

The Throw size will end up being about 60 x 60 inches.

And there really isn't a good way to make the holes smaller without changing the pattern. Crocheting at a smaller gauge (i.e. using a smaller hook) may make the holes smaller, but it would also make the fabric denser and stiffer.

Thanks for asking! Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Whitney

29. January Ansa says:

Hi, I LOVE your giant blanket the colors are so fab. Unfortunately, yarn of that quality in that quantity isn't affordable for me…So, I tried out making a giant granny square blanket with doubled up worsted weight yarn and just five colors. It came out great, very large and very warm. Thanks for the inspirational idea!! Here's a link to my version on flkr http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/31403594@N03/11850082083/ . Because I used Bernat Super Value worsted weight yarn on sale the blanket cost less than $60 to make!

30. Dee says:

Hi Molly, love this blanket. I have trying to make one for a twin bed for my daughter but
    have not been successful at all. I keep on getting the square shape and it doesn't fit the bed at all. How do I make it the size of a twin bed? Any advice I will appreciate it so much.

Thanks,
    Dee.

Hi Dee-

This pattern is, by nature, a square but if you'd like to make it a rectangle here are some ideas:

You can sew together two small granny squares at the beginning of the blanket and then keep crocheting around them as if they were one. Or you can simply make two square blankets and sew them together.

I hope this helps!

32. crocheter says:

This might have already been addressed in a previous comment/thread and if so I do apologise, but how does one keep the center of their work from raising up and get it t lay flat? I have used various size hooks with a worsted weight Red Heart yarn to make the giant blanket and I cannot get it to start right. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

33. Regina Sitton says:

Hi Dee,
    Your Giant Granny Square is truly beautiful. I have made two similar squares, although more of the throw size. One was done in just black and white yarns. I just cut and tied the two colors so that they came out in a modern art design. The other was one I made from scrap yarn and is multi-colored. I love doing this kind of work as I am always surprised with the pattern that emerges. I guess I am easily bored with too much of the same color. LOL
    Thank you for sharing your lovely bed-topper.

Hi crotcheter-

I'm sorry to hear you've been having this problem. Would you mind sending me a photo so we can try to figure out what's going on? Here's my direct email:

molly AT purlsoho DOT com

35. Tiffany says:

I tried to upload a photograph but they are all too large, here is the short version of my issue. I start my granny squares with a ch 4 and go round making large squares but for some reason after i get say maybe 10-12 rows out, when i try to fold it up and make it match sides the middle puffs out making it come to a slight point or triangle shape, almost like a house with a roof top shape.

I am working on getting pictures smaller so you can have a visual :)

Thank you again!

Hi Tiffany-

It sounds like you aren't increasing properly, probably around the corners. We would suggest re-reading our granny square tutorial and paying special attention to the corner. Perhaps you might try doing it on some scrap yarn first to make sure you have it down before you begin this project again.

I hope this helps! Thanks for getting in touch!

37. Tiffany says:

Thank you so much for the link!

I was taught to increase corners a different way and now I think this has solved the problem. Of course I would notice something when I have so much work done it would be horrible to start all over, but…..if it does not lay right on the bed I will rip it all up and start over from scratch :)

Thanks again!