Super Simple Super Soft Merino Baby Hat

Although I know how to knit, I tend to be all talk and no action. I’m great at buying yarn and casting on, but I’m also quite good at abandoning my projects before they’re done. But with everyone at the Purl Bee creating such amazing projects with our new Super Soft Merino (like these great hats and this awesome cowl), I was beginning to feel a little left out!

I knew I wanted to get in on the Super Soft Merino action, but I certainly didn’t want another partnerless mitten or half-finished sweater. With winter here and a new baby to keep warm, I decided I could probably manage a simple baby hat, as long as it was really easy. This pattern fits the bill!

The Super Simple Super Soft Merino Baby Hat is truly the easiest hat you will ever knit. The yarn’s chunky weight makes it quick, and its vivid range of colors makes it fun. It also happens to make the softest, fluffiest pom poms so I added one to the top! I had such a good time making mine that I ended up knitting two versions in as many nights. I was so proud of myself! The short version just covers the ears, while the tall version can be worn cuffed up and trim or unfolded and a little floppy. -Molly

4 stitches = 1 inch in 1 X 1 rib (unstretched)

Sizes

16 inches in circumference (stretched) and 6 1/2 (8 ¼) inches tall to fit babies up to 1 year

With the Main Color, loosely cast on 44 stitches.

Place a marker and join for working in the round, being careful not to twist the stitches.

Round 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to end of round.

Repeat Round 1 until hat measures 6 ½ (8 ¼) inches from cast on edge.

Cut the yarn leaving an 8-inch tail. Thread the tail through the remaining stitches. Pull the tail firmly and bring it to the inside of the hat. Tie a knot on the inside to secure it closed.

With the Contrast Color, make the pom pom maker’s larger size pom pom (1 5/8-inches). Need help? Check out our Pom Pom Tutorial here!

Now bring the pom pom tails to the inside of the hat, tie a knot and weave in the ends.

Weave in the rest of your ends and you’re done!

66 Responses to Super Simple Super Soft Merino Baby Hat

1. Nicola says:

I love this! Is there a way to adapt this to a #8, 16 inch circular needle using worsted cotton? This is my first time knitting in the round and I am unsure how many stitches to cast on for a newborn. Thanks so much!

Hi Nicola-

Sure, you could adapt this idea to a different sized yarn. You will need to do a swatch, in the round, in the ribbed pattern to see how many stitches you are getting per inch.
    A newborn hat is usually 14-inches around so once you figure out how many stitches you're getting per inch multiply that number by 14.

Feel free to get back in touch once you've figured out your gauge if you need any more help.

Thanks for your question!

3. Nicola says:

Hi Molly,

Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate and need the help! I knitted a swatch and got 4.3 stitches per inch…..so that would be 60 stitches for a 14 inch hat. I think that 60 inches will be shorter than the length of my needles (16 inches) though? Does this mean that I will need shorter needles? Thank you!

HI Nicola-

The 16-inch needles will work fine because 1X1 rib is very stretchy.

Good luck with the project!

5. kristy says:

I am at the end of the hat but I guess I'm a little confused about how to actually finish. Am I just cutting the 8 in tail, pulling the needles out completely and then thread the tail through the stitches that are left after pulling the needles out?? Then just pulling tight?
    First hat I'm making so just a little confused! Thanks

Hi Kristy-

Yes, you just thread the tail through the live stitches, pull it tight, and then tie a knot to secure it on the inside of the hat. There will be a little hole where the top comes together but it will get covered up by the pom pom.

7. Lily says:

Oh, how sweet (I wish there was a pattern for that baby-sooo cute, it melted my heart). Do you by chance know how I could make a Teen/adult size hat? Thanks :)

HI Lily-

Both Page and I made adult versions of this hat by casting on 66 stitches.

Best-

9. Lily says:

Oh, sorry. Guess I should read the other comments before I go making one of my own!
    Thank you! Lily :D

10. Lyndsay says:

Hi Molly

The hat is gorgeous, quick question for you – when you knitted one for yourself what length did you make it? If you did the longer version, at what length was the fold up?

Lyndsay

11. LC says:

Adorable hat! I would love this for an adult. Any recommendations?

Hi LC-

Two of us here at the Purl Bee have made this hat for an adult by casting on 66 stitches and knitting in pattern until it was the desired length.

Good luck!

13. katie says:

Hi, I so love this hat that I am wondering if you could advise how to make one for an adult…?

Hi Katie-

Please see my response to Claire in the previous comments for instructions on an adult hat. Thank you!

15. theodora says:

Sooo sweet. Any chance you could tell me how to knit this on straight needles? That would be wonderful.
    Thx.