Double Seed Stitch Blanket

As even a casual reader of the Purl Bee has probably noticed, we are super inspired by our Super Soft Merino! Since the arrival of Purl Soho's first very own yarn, we have been busy bees, but of all our Super Soft Merino projects, the Double Seed Stitch Blanket may be our favorite!

We love how the simple double seed stitch pattern creates a subtle field of wonderfully nubbly texture. Combined with the comfort and softness of our Merino, this is a seriously cozy blanket with the reassuring weight and warmth of a handknit!

double-seed-stitch-blanket-banner-600-5-2

Homespun and sophisticated, the Double Seed Stitch Blanket is so pretty folded at the foot of a bed or over the arm of a couch. We give directions for every size blanket from baby to queen, so cuddle a toddler or cover an entire bed. With a vintage quilt, a linen coverlet, or a modern duvet, this blanket is right at home!

We knit ours up in Super Soft Merino's gorgeous Oyster Gray. Gentle and truly pearlescent, we love this color's warmth and modernity. In double seed stitch, it becomes something straight out of nature: a pebbly stream bed, a frosty snowscape, a starlit beach. But we can imagine equally loving a Desert Blue crib size adding handmade love to a nursery, or a Red Zinnia throw size casting serious drama into a neutral living room, or an Heirloom White queen size being just that, a true family heirloom.

To make a Baby (Crib, Throw, Twin, Queen) size blanket:

• 6 (17, 22, 36, 52) skeins of Purl Soho’s Super Soft Merino. We used the color Oyster Gray.
  • US #13, 24 or 32 (32 or 40, 40 or 47, 47 or 60, 60)-inch circular needles

2 3/4 stitches = 1 inch in double seed stitch pattern

Sizes

Baby (Crib, Throw, Twin, Queen): Approximately 28 x 30 (45 x 60, 60 x 60, 66 x 90, 90 x 95) inches

Cast on 77 (123, 165, 181, 247) stitches.

Row 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.

Row 2: *P1, k1, repeat from * to last stitch, p1.

Row 3: Repeat Row 2.

Row 4: Repeat Row 1.

Repeat Rows 1-4 until work measures desired length.

Bind off in stitch pattern and weave in the ends!

145 Responses to Double Seed Stitch Blanket

Hi Trisha-

You might want to try doubling the Maxima yarn and seeing how that looks. Otherwise you should try making a gauge use something around a US size 8 to see if you like the look.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

2. Jodi says:

Hi.
    What size needles made the blanket in your photos> US#13, #24 or #32? Thanks.

3. Jodi says:

Hi Molly,
    I just figured it out….US #13.
    Sorry for my duh moment. :)
    Happy New Year,
    Jodi

4. S. says:

I am so inspired by your website. The yarn looks as though I can touch it. The patterns are beautiful and I am tempted to knit everyone. Thank you so much. S.

5. Phyllis says:

I just made this blanket and it's gorgeous and cozy! A present for my son's birthday & first apartment. I used the merino and made an oversized throw. Thanks to the guy at Purl who helped me with supplies and size advice.

6. Jane says:

I'm interested in making the blanket for a double bed. How many stitches should I cast on and what should the finished measurements be? Thanks. Can't wait to get started!

7. Sarah says:

Hi, just curious if, in your experience, this merino pills? I've found that sometimes the softer ones do (particularly Malabrigo).

Hi Sarah-

Yes, this merino will pill over time since it is very soft and also a loosely spun single ply. In our experience, hand knits that pill can be easily cared for with a d-fuzz-it which you can find here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/960-Collins-De-Fuzz-Its

Thanks so much for getting in touch!

Hi Jane-

To make this for a double bed we recommend that you measure how big you want it to be, perhaps by measuring a quilt you like that fits your bed, or by measuring your mattress and adding the amount of overhang that you'd like. Then, to figure out how many to cast on, multiply the desired width (in inches) by 2 3/4 (stitches per inch) and round to the nearest odd number.

For example: Lets say you want the finished blanket to be 75-inches wide. 75 X 2 3/4= 206.25 Round that up and you get 207 stitches to cast on.

Thank you for your question and please let us know if you need any more help!

10. Mandy says:

Hi! :)

Just wondering if it is necessary to use circular needles when knitting this pattern? Is it because of the length of the shortest side of the blanket(if the length of an ordinary needle would be too short)?

Thanks,
    Mandy

11. Kari says:

If I wanted to make this into a King could I just add more cast on's to make it the size I want and use the same needles as a Queen? Any clue how much more yarn I might need also?

Hi Kari-

You might want to check the measurements of the queen blanket because it's really large, It could probably work for a king size bed- it just wouldn't have much overhang. If you do end up wanting to make a larger size you would just cast on more stitches making sure to cast on an odd number. The amount of extra yarn you would need to buy would depend on the finished dimensions. If you let us know those dimensions we could try to estimate how much more you'll need.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

13. Mary says:

I love this pattern! It's looking wonderful so far, but I'm wondering about the tails: Which method would you recommend to weave in the ends? There's really no right or wrong side and I'm worried that one will see every kind of duplicate stitch because the stitches themselves are so large in the first place. What method did you use? Thanks!
    Mary

Hi Mary.
    Since this piece is reversible or rather will be seen from both sides, like you said, I recommend a duplicate stitch method. I know that the yarn is quite thick and so doubling it up is noticeable, but duplicate stitch can be great if you can get the tension right and kind of place the tail well. Another option would be to draw the tail vertically up and then down.

Have you seen out post about weaving in ends? There aren't any examples on seed stitch, but it does show different methods and fabrics.
    Thanks for writing in,
    Laura

15. Ali says:

I have a quick question. How many stitches do you need to increase this by if you have an odd size you need? For example I am going to stitch this with some stash yarn on 10 or 10.5 needles. I know I will need to cast on more than 77 stitches but not quite 123. Is the only requirement that it be an odd number? Or is it a certain increment that is needed?

Thanks so much!

Hi Ali-

It only needs to be an odd number. The best way to figure out exactly how many to cast on is to do a gauge swatch using the yarn and needles you plan to use in the pattern. I'd recommend that you cast on 21 stitches and knit in the double seed stitch pattern until you have a square swatch. From there you can measure how many stitches you are getting per inch.

Once you figure out how many stitches you are getting per inch you can multiple that number by the desired width and round to the nearest odd number. For example: Let's say you're getting 4 stitches per inch and you want to make a blanket that is 50-inches wide. You'd multiply 4 (stitches per inch) by 50 (inches) to get 200, rounded up to 201 to cast on.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

17. Kitty says:

What do you think about doing this blanket in color blocks? I think someone mentioned using the Blue Sky Worsted cotton doubled. Would the stitches work out in the color changes? I love this texture. Trying to decide what to make for my baby girl. This blanket or the chevron. thanks!

HI Kitty,

Sounds nice! You should just be aware that in double seed stitch, you will see a transitional line (almost like you're looking at the "wrong side") where you change colors. Do a little test swatch if you want to see for yourself what I'm talking about!

Blue Sky Worsted Cotton doubled would be a close approximation to the gauge of Super Soft Merino, but you may need to experiment a little with the needle size to make sure you get a fabric you like.

Thanks for asking and please let us know if you have any others!

Whitney

19. Pearl says:

This pattern is great! I made a baby blanket using the super soft merino and it came out perfect.

Now I'm going to attempt another baby or crib blanket using this

The gauge: 3.5 stitches per inch
    suggested needles: US 10

I'm new to this so I have no idea where to begin converting the pattern for a different yarn type. How many do I cast on? Do I need to change the needle size? How much yarn will I need?

20. Sandy White says:

I am new to knitting, and just saw your website.
    I plan on knitting the blanket in Queen size. How many yards do I need to complete this project ?

Hi Sandy-

The queen sized blanket takes 52 skeins of our Super Soft Merino. At 87 yards a skein that means you need a total of 4524 yards!

22. Ali Smyth says:

I love the blanket for a queen size bed. I love your merino yarn, but unfortunately, my pocketbook will not allow the purchase. I plan on using a super bulky weight yarn, 90 yards a skein. How many yards will I need to complete the blanket?
    Thank You!

Hi Ali-

If the yarn you are using is a similar weight to our Super Soft Merino and it gets you a similar gauge then you will need the same amount of yardage. I'm not sure what size you want to make but the yardage info for Super Soft Merino can be found here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/8944-Purl-Soho-Super-Soft-Merino

Hi Pearl,

Our Fluffy Brioche Baby Blanket (http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2013/3/21/fluffy-brioche-baby-blanket.html) uses the Cascade Superwash 128. With a gauge of 3 1/2 stitches to the inch, we used 5 skeins to make a 28 x 32-inch blanket. We used a US #10.5 needle, but you may want to figure out what size you like with your tension and this stitch pattern.

And to determine how many to cast on for this pattern, you'll need to figure out your gauge and multiply that by the width you'd like your blanket to be and cast on a nearby odd number. So, for example, if you get 3.5 stitches to the inch and want a 28-inch wide blanket, you'd cast on 3.5 x 28 = 98, so cast on 97 or 99 stitches.

I hope this puts you in the right path. Please let us know if you run into any more questions and thanks for these!

Whitney

25. Beth says:

I love this pattern and want to make it in the twin size for my daughters bed. I was wondering the weight of the yarn and the weight category,

Hi Beth-

All of the info on our Super Soft Merino can be found here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/8944-Purl-Soho-Super-Soft-Merino

27. Denise Navarro says:

I would like to know how many skeins of yarn do I need to make a throw of the double seed blanket.

HI Denise-

You would need 22 skeins.

29. Sarah says:

Hi there – this looks beautiful!

I'd love to make it for a king-sized bed. Can you help me with a stitch count and likely number of skeins? Can it still be done on a 60-inch circular needle?

Sarah

Hi Sarah-

First you should measure a blanket that fits the king sized bed in a way you like to get the desired finished length and width measurements.

It is safe to calculate that you'll need one skein for every 165 square inches of blanket. So to calculate the amount of yarn you'd need for any size just multiply the desired width times the length and divide by 165 and that's the number of skeins you'll need!

As for the stitch count- multiply the desired width (in inches) by 2.75 (stitches per inch) and round that to the nearest odd number to get the cast on number.

You might also want to consider making the queen sized version, which is very large!

Thanks for your question and good luck with the project!

31. Denise says:

I just wanted to know how many stitches do you do for a throw. Also can you tell me if you ordered the yarn on line can they rewind the yarn into balls.

Hi Denise-

You will need 22 skeins for a throw sized blanket. To find this out, and to follow the throw sized pattern, keep in mind that since "throw" is the third size listed all the instructions (like the cast on and amount you need to buy) are always listed third.

And yes, we'd be happy to wind the yarn for you! You can ask us to do this in the special instructions section of your order. Please note that wound yarn is not returnable.

Thanks so much for your questions and please let us know if you have any more!

Best-

33. Denise says:

Yes. In a comment you said in order to make a throw you need 22 skeins of wool but in another comment you said you need 32 skeins of Wool. Can you tell me which one it is.

Also how many stitches do I need to cast on for a throw.

Thank you.

HI Denise-

I'm so sorry for my typo. It's 22 skeins, as instructed in the pattern. The pattern is correct so you can just follow it to figure out how many skeins you'll need and how many stitches to cast on.
    Since you are doing the throw size, which is the third size listed you will always follow the third number listed in the instructions. For example here is the instruction for how many skeins you'll need:

6 (17, 22, 36, 52) skeins of Purl Sohos Super Soft Merino. We used the color Oyster Gray.

This means that you need 22 skeins since 22 is the third number listed.

And here are the cast on instructions:

Cast on 77 (123, 165, 181, 247) stitches.

This means you'll cast on 165 because it is the third number listed.

35. Ayie says:

Hello there! I was just a bit confused. The double seed stitch that I know of is in multiples of 2. Am I correct to assume that this has a +1 stitch in pattern?

Thank you! Incredibly beautiful by the way.

Ayie

Hi Ayie-

There's no official definition for a double seed stitch so both are correct. The "double" part of the stitch used here refers to two layers of the "seeds" on top of each other vertically. Basically the seed part is two rows long, as opposed to just one row in a regular seed stitch.

Hope this clears it up. Please let us know if you have any more questions and thanks for writing in!

37. Beth says:

What is the yarn weight symbol and name for the yarn used for this blanket, 3 Light (dk, light worsted), 4 Medium (worsted, afghan, aran), 5 Bulky (chunky, craft, rug), 6 Super Bulky (Bulky, roving)?

38. Brittinni says:

Hey, a friend of mine has recently asked me if I can make her an afghan. She does not know if she wants it crocheted or knitted yet. She has a king sized bed and she does not want it to dangle off the bed. Can you give an approximate measurement, and if possible how many stitches for it. I have gone over my books and do not know measurements or stitches for it. please and thank you. :)

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Brittinni-

Unfortunately there aren’t any hard and fast rules for how large a king blanket or afghan should be. I would suggest that you measure the mattress and make it to those dimensions. And to figure out how many stitches to cast on you’ll need to do a gauge swatch in the stitch you’ll be using to determine how many stitches you’ll get per inch.

Thanks for your questions!

39. Kelly says:

Hello,
    I’m making the throw blanket size and I was just curious as to how many yards I’ll need to complete it.
    Thank you.

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Kelly-

This information is listed in the materials section of the pattern. You will need 22 skeins to complete the throw size. Each skein is approximately 87 yards so you’ll need a total of 1914 yards.

Thanks for getting in touch and good luck with the project!

40. Esmeralda says:

If I use straight needles what does the length of the needle have to be. Can you even do this project with straight needles

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Esmeralda-

It would be very hard to do this project with straight needles since the blanket is so wide. The width just wouldn’t fit on any straight needles I know of! So I’d highly recommend using the circular needles.

Thanks for your question!

41. Judy says:

Every time I go to print this pattern, I get writing across the front of pattern, in other words, double printing. How do I print this off without the printing on top of pattern. (OH, FORGOT TO MENTION, I LOVE LOVE LOVE ALL OF YOUR PATTERNS.) Thanks

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Judy-

The best way to print any of our patterns is to cut and paste the pattern into a Word or Text doc and print from there. We are working on making it easier but this is the best way to do it for now.