Double Seed Stitch Blanket

As even a casual reader of the Purl Bee has probably noticed, we are super inspired by our Super Soft Merino! Since the arrival of Purl Soho's first very own yarn, we have been busy bees, but of all our Super Soft Merino projects, the Double Seed Stitch Blanket may be our favorite!

We love how the simple double seed stitch pattern creates a subtle field of wonderfully nubbly texture. Combined with the comfort and softness of our Merino, this is a seriously cozy blanket with the reassuring weight and warmth of a handknit!

double-seed-stitch-blanket-banner-600-5-2

Homespun and sophisticated, the Double Seed Stitch Blanket is so pretty folded at the foot of a bed or over the arm of a couch. We give directions for every size blanket from baby to queen, so cuddle a toddler or cover an entire bed. With a vintage quilt, a linen coverlet, or a modern duvet, this blanket is right at home!

We knit ours up in Super Soft Merino's gorgeous Oyster Gray. Gentle and truly pearlescent, we love this color's warmth and modernity. In double seed stitch, it becomes something straight out of nature: a pebbly stream bed, a frosty snowscape, a starlit beach. But we can imagine equally loving a Desert Blue crib size adding handmade love to a nursery, or a Red Zinnia throw size casting serious drama into a neutral living room, or an Heirloom White queen size being just that, a true family heirloom.

To make a Baby (Crib, Throw, Twin, Queen) size blanket:

• 6 (17, 22, 36, 52) skeins of Purl Soho’s Super Soft Merino. We used the color Oyster Gray.
  • US #13, 24 or 32 (32 or 40, 40 or 47, 47 or 60, 60)-inch circular needles

2 3/4 stitches = 1 inch in double seed stitch pattern

Sizes

Baby (Crib, Throw, Twin, Queen): Approximately 28 x 30 (45 x 60, 60 x 60, 66 x 90, 90 x 95) inches

Cast on 77 (123, 165, 181, 247) stitches.

Row 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.

Row 2: *P1, k1, repeat from * to last stitch, p1.

Row 3: Repeat Row 2.

Row 4: Repeat Row 1.

Repeat Rows 1-4 until work measures desired length.

Bind off in stitch pattern and weave in the ends!

145 Responses to Double Seed Stitch Blanket

1. Lana says:

Hello,
    Knitting this wonderful blanket and my ends are looking funny. Should they all be a knit to end and begin? It looks like perhaps that is done in photo. My ends look nothing like the beautiful photo!! Well, my entire blanket doesn't either admittedly- I'll just say I'm better at other things! Thanks for your time. Lana.

2. jenna says:

Hi, I'm planning on making this blanket as a gift for one of my friends! I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper type of yarn I could use that would be readily available at stores like Michaels/ACMoore. I looked and the yarn here is a bit expensive for the size I want to make. Thanks! Jenna

Hello Jenna,
    Thanks for writing in. I am sure Michaels / ACMoore sells a cheaper type of yarn. This pattern is fairly adaptable. Just be sure to read the labels and try and match the suggest gauge as closely as possible.
    Thanks.
    Laura

4. val says:

Hi! I just loved this pattern but before I knit the blanky I started to knit a capelet with this pattern & a lighter yarn. I'm starting to decrease but I just don't know how to do it without breaking the pattern. Do you know how to do it?

I would appreciate it so much & keep up the good work, such an inspiration.

Hi Val,
    Great question! Thanks for writing in. In order to decrease without messing up the pattern you will need to do a double decrease. You could k3tog (knit three together) or you could sskp (slip slip knit pass). I would sskp, it creates a beautiful detail. To sskp, first, slip two stitches together knit-wise, then knit one, then pass the two slipped stitches over the knit stitch as if you were binding off.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Thanks,
    Laura

6. Diane says:

Beautiful I am new to knitting. How many do I cast on to make the baby blanket?

Hi Diane-

We usually use a long tail cast on but you can use any cast on that you're comfortable with. Here is a link to a Long Tail Cast On Tutorial: http://www.purlbee.com/cast-on-tutorial/

8. Heather says:

Hi Purl Bee,

You are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity through all of your beautiful patterns and wonderful tutorials.

I love this blanket pattern. I'd like to make the throw size as a wedding gift but need to use a yarn that's easily washable for this couple. I'd ideally like to use natural fibers though. So I've been considering Spud & Chloe Outer for the project. I know you've used it a few times in blankets. Would you recommend it? Comments on Ravelry suggest that it sheds and pills readily and that many skeins have knots in them. Also, if you have other suggested yarns to use I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks so much.

9. Adrienne says:

Hi! Quick question as I saw someone ask what k2 p1 meant. The pattern says k1 p1 alternating. Did I miss something where I should be knitting two and purling one?

Hi Adrienne-

The pattern is correct as written. I can't seem to find the comment you're referring to but you can disregard it. Thank you!

11. Adrienne says:

Okay, thanks! (It was Carmen from 5/24)

12. Nicole says:

Good evening,

I was just wondering what style of cast on was used for this blanket?

Hi Nicole-

We used a long tail cast on. We have a long tail cast on tutorial here: http://www.purlbee.com/cast-on-tutorial/

Thank you for your question!

14. EmelynJ says:

I was thinking about making the crib size in Blue Sky Alpaca organic cotton doubled (you did the reverse with the Chevron blanket)–I need something machine washable. How many skeins would I need to purchase and do you think the same needle size would be okay?

Hi EmelynJ-

Yes you can totally use the same needles.
    Depending on the size throw you'd like do you will need 7(20, 26, 42,61) skeins.
    Faye

16. Julie says:

Hi Purl Bee,

I want to make this blanket in the crib size as a gift. The yarn that you suggested it not machine washable. Is there an alternative yarn that is machine washable that I could use? Would the same needle size work?

Thanks

Julie

17. Shelley says:

If I use 8ply yarn is it still ok to use 6.5mm needles?? Great design Molly !! :) Will I still get a similar result?

Hi Shelley-

You'll need to use smaller needles, whatever the appropriate size is for your yarn. You will also need to cast on more stitches because you are using smaller yarn. You'll need to do a gauge swatch in pattern to see how many stitches you are getting per inch to figure out how many to cast on and you must cast on an uneven number for the pattern to work. The finished blanket will have a different look because the yarn is thinner but it will still be beautiful!

Thanks for your question!

ps- I didn't design this blanket, it was designed by our knitting team. I just moderate the comments. But thanks so much for your kind words about the pattern!

19. Libby says:

Do u have a version of this pattern , but for a scarf or cowl ? I would really love to make one using this pattern ?

20. Jodi says:

Hi. I LOVE your blog and online store.
    I am so anxious to knit this blanket but I am new to circular needles. I read some of the comments here and watched a few how-to videos on YouTube but I'm confused about how knitting in the round will create a big blanket and not a round hat!! My logic tells me to use two sets of circular needles for this project so that the large amount of stitches will fit on one set and the other set will be used as the other needle!! Yikes! Any suggestions would be so helpful.
    Thanks so much.
    Jodi

21. Alicia says:

hi purl bee,

This might seem like a silly question,but i'm a newbie to knitting so i apologize in advance if this is confusing, but the pattern says once you reach row 3 to repeat row 2, so do i once again start the row off by doing a purl stitch,or do i really repeat row 1 and start out with a knit stitch so that each row of the blanket is alternating between a knit then a purl?
    Thanks,
    Alicia

Hi Alicia-

Yes, you start the row just as it's written. There is no need for any tinkering with the pattern, just do exactly as it says. Once you work for several rows the pattern will start to emerge and it should become more clear.

Please get in touch if you have any more questions and good luck with the project!

Best-

Hi Jodi-

This project uses circular needles but it is not knit in the round. The cable that connects the needles is used to hold the wide width of the project but you just knit back and forth as you would with a set of straight needles. Here is a video I found that shows what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2utVAejcTE

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

Hi Libby-

This pattern will work with any odd number of stitches so it could easily be converted into a scarf. If you'd like to make a (roughly) 10 inch wide scarf you might try casting on 27 stitches.

25. Laurie says:

Quick question- can the "baby alpaca chunky" yarn on your website be used for this project (and still achieve similar dimensions and look?) I just saw that the baby alpaca chunky came in more colors that would match our nursery well… Also, I'm assuming the alpaca yarn is also very soft and would make a cozy baby blanket? Thank you so much for your help! Laurie

Hi Laurie-

The chunky baby alpaca is thinner than this yarn so the gauge would be different but it would still be beautiful. You would just have to use smaller needles and cast on more stitches. This pattern will work with any odd number of stitches and we would recommend a size 10 needle for this yarn.

Alpaca is very soft but it is also very fuzzy so we don't recommend it for a baby project. We usually recommend merino, cashmere, or cotton for baby projects.

Thanks for writing in!

27. Kathryn says:

I am planning to use your pattern for a baby blanket and I want to make sure I understand about the number of stitches to cast on. The pattern gives the cast on number of stitches for all sizes in odd numbers, but the response to the post from Molly on 9-9-13 states that the pattern will work with "any even number of stitches." Do you cast on an odd number of stitches or an even number of stitches?

Hi Kathryn-

Thanks so much for catching my mistake. It is any ODD number of stitches! I've corrected the response.

I'm so sorry about that! Please let us know if you have any more questions!

29. val says:

Thanks for your answer Laura, I asked about how to do a decrease without breaking the pattern, I tried the sskp {I just saw your video tutorial for ssk} which it does a beautiful detail in the pattern but what if I don't want the decrease to be so visible? I'm woking on circular needles, I guess I forgot to mention that.

Thanks so much

Hi Val.
    If you are looking for a less visible decrease, I would try k3tog for a right leaning double decrease or a sssk for a left leaning decrease. When decreasing two stitches, especially in such thick yarn, it is hard for it to go completely unnoticed. I do like s2kp because it is directionless, but for a capelet, combining k3tog and sssk would be lovely.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Let me know how it goes!
    Laura

31. kniwitt says:

Hi
    I didnt see an answer to the question about the edges…Could you answer thisfor me, please…new knitter, self taught….Are you slipping the first stitch?
    If so, how do I make the pattern…thank you

Hi knitwitt-

The first stitches are not slipped.
    Thanks for your question and good luck with the project!

33. Clementine says:

US #13, 24 or 32 (32 or 40, 40 or 47, 47 or 60, 60)-inch circular needles

I understand the different length suggestions for the circular needles but do you suggest the different size needles based on personal preference? What size needles were used in the pictures?
    Thank you for the beautiful patterns and yarn!

Hi Clementine-

The different needle suggestions are based on what size you are knitting. For the smallest size you will use a 24 or 32-inch length, for the next size you will use a 32 or 40-inch length, for the next size a 40 or 47-inch length.

We usually recommend that you use the shortest length that you are comfortable with that will work with the pattern.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

35. Lianne says:

Hi
    I would love to make this for my granddaughter. But I am confused as to why we are using circular needles. Won't this just make the blanket double thickness? Could you clarify please?

Hi Lianne-

This project uses circular needles but it isn't knit in the round. You just use the cable that connects the needle to hold the wide width of the blanket.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

37. Susie says:

How would I adjust this pattern's number of ounces of yarn and size of circular needles in metric if using WORSTED weight yarn?

38. Kelly says:

Approximately how long does the throw size take to make?

Hi Susie-

You would need the same number of ounces.

You will need to knit a swatch in pattern with the needles and yarn you'll be using to figure out how many stitches you are getting per inch. From that swatch you can figure out how many stitches to cast on.

You will need to use smaller needles, probably a 4.5 or 5mm if we are talking metric (a US 7 or 8.)

Thank you for your questions!

40. Melissa says:

Hi, could this pattern work with Bluesky Bulky yarn but using the smaller kneedle size US 13 in this pattern?

Hi Melissa-

Blue Sky Bulky is a little bit thicker than our Super Soft Merino but it would stiill make a beautiful blanket in this stitch pattern using larger needles. (We would recommend a size 17 or 19.) You would just need to do a gauge swatch to see how many stitches you get per inch in pattern and then adjust the cast on stitches from there. Also, please note that the Blue Sky has 45 yards per skein, so you would probably need to buy more skeins.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

42. Joanna says:

Hi there! I'd love to make this as a baby blanket using the Blue Sky Cotton Worsted doubled with a size 13 needle (what I used for your chevron pattern too). I have six skeins of this – any suggestions on how to alter the pattern to make it work? I'm not very good at adapting patterns on my own! Thank you so much! Joanna

Hi Joanna-

You should knit a gauge swatch to figure out how many stitches you are getting per inch in the pattern. From there you can multiply the stitches per inch by the desired width. Make sure to cast on an odd number of stitches and the stitch pattern will still work.

44. Abby says:

Hello, I see that you stated above that the first stitch is not slipped. However I really like the edges of the Super Easy Baby Blanket. Would it be possible to slip the first stitch to get that effect and maintain the pattern?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Hi Abby-

Sure, that's possible. Just make sure that it doesn't interfere with the pattern. The slip will take the place of the first stitch in the row.

So Row 1 will be: Slip 1, p1 *K1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.

And Row 2 will be: Slip 1, k1 *P1, k1, repeat from * to last stitch, p1.

Thank you for your question!

46. Susan says:

If I am going to try a full size pattern how many skeins of thread do I need and what size needles? Also Can I use chunky yarn?

Hi Susan-

We would recommend that you follow the pattern for either the Queen size or Twin Size. The materials requirements, needles and recommended yarn are all listed in the pattern above.

Thank you for your question!

48. Abby says:

Hello again! I am getting ready to cast this on tonight. Using the long tail cast on, how much yarn should i pull for my tail before starting?

Hi Abby-

It's a good rule of thumb to have a tail at least 3 X the length of your final cast on. So, depending on the size you're knitting multiple the width by three. And then add some extra for good measure. There's nothing worse than running out mid cast on! :)

50. Trisha says:

Hi! I'm just wondering what you think about using manos del Uruguay maxima for this blanket? I know it's not as heavy as the yarn you suggest. What size needles would you suggest to get a similar look? Thanks!