Amazing Seed Stitch Wrap

For this Amazing Seed Stitch Wrap we dipped our brush into eleven buckets of the most beautifully pigmented paints we could imagine. With wide brushstrokes we created great swathes of color, fields of undulating tones and extraordinary luminosity.

To swing this wrap around your shoulders is to envelop yourself in the pure beauty of knitting. It is our ode to the greatest natural fibers in the world, our homage to the joy of hand dyed color and to the fascination of a textural adventure.

Our wrap's journey starts with outrageous hot pink, travels through meadows of gentle roses to a soft creamy horizon, into the beguiling world of jade greens, through crystal clear Aegean blues, and finishes in the deep mystery of twilight. Along the way, you meet Jade Sapphire's extraordinary 8 Ply Cashmere, Anzula's For Better or Worsted,  and Blue Sky's cuddly soft Suri Merino.

Want to take the same trip? We've assembled all eleven of these skeins together in one easy place. Click right here to check it out! Or if you'd like to try our 100% merino version, just click here for the Worsted Twist Seed Stitch Wrap. It uses nine skeins of Purl Soho's beautiful Worsted Twist!

Get started right here!

If you'd like get all eleven of these skeins, then you'll just need one Yarn to Complete the Amazing Seed Stitch Wrap kit! Here's what's included, from the top:

5 stitches = 1 inch in seed stitch

Size

24 x 78 inches

Notes

The color order is pictured and listed above in The Materials section.

With the first color, cast on 109 stitches.

Row 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.

Repeat Row 1 for each row until end of skein.

Change to the second color at the beginning of the next row and repeat Row 1 until end of skein.

Repeat with each color, making sure to always change colors on the same side.

When you are nearly finished with the eleventh skein, bind off in pattern.

Weave in the ends and you're finished!

78 Responses to Amazing Seed Stitch Wrap

1. rose says:

I see eleven skeins pictured and twelve listed, the kit includes eleven but the pattern says “when you are nearly finished with the twelfth.” What am I missing?

Also, any suggestions for a (much) less expensive version?

2. Emma says:

Dear Purl Bee-
    This project is amazing! I would like to make a similar wrap using other yarn, perhaps Madelinetosh. Which ply or Madelinetosh yarn would be most suitable?
    Thank you.
    Emma

3. Susan says:

I am puzzled. It shows 11 skeins of yarn in the picture and in the sale of the kit, but it lists 12 skeins in the materials and refers to 12 skeins in the pattern. Is there an error somewhere? Thanks. Susan

4. Debra says:

Gorgeous Wrap, love the colour and the stitch

Dear Susan and all who commented on the mistake in the materials, thank you! It is now fixed here and also on purlsoho.com and we've updated the price there too! –Joelle

6. yvette DUPRAT says:

c'est bien beau, mais comment acheter avec l' euro. ? j'ai déjà fait certains de vos tutos avec d' autres laines, parce que je ne savais comment payer .
    merci
    bonne soirée
    yvette

7. Mary Beth says:

You make it very difficult for me to get any work done because I see your gorgeous projects and all I want to do is knit!

Hi Emma-

This uses worsted weight yarn so Tosh Merino would work best: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/8234-Madelinetosh-Tosh-Merino

Thank you for your question!

Hi Rose-

You can use any worsted weight yarn you'd like!

Maxima would be great, and it comes in beautiful colors: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/7529-Manos-Del-Uruguay-Maxima

So would Tosh Merino: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/8234-Madelinetosh-Tosh-Merino

Or, for a much less expensive version, but one that is still 100% wool Cascade 220 would be great! http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/649-Cascade-Yarns-Cascade-220

Thanks for your question!

Hello Yvette-

You cannot pay in Euros but you can pay in US Dollars with your credit card. The credit card company will convert it to Euros. We ship to Europe all the time and it works very well!

Thank you for your question!

Best Wishes-

11. Ashveen says:

Hello, and thanks for this wonderful project!
    I was wondering what might be the classiest cast on for this wrap?
    Alternate cable cast on comes to my mind (less easily to my fingers!), but do you think it would be worth the fuss?

12. Ann Marie Joyce says:

What caston method did you use with this wrap or does it matter?

Hi Ann Marie Joyce-

We used a long tail cast on.

Thanks for your question!

Hi There Ashveen-

Faye, who knit this wrap, recommends a simple long tail cast on.

Good luck with the project and please let us know if you have any more questions!

15. TrishKnits says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous! I absolutely love the colours you've used and can only imagine how sinfully soft and cozy this would be, but $400 is waaaaayyy outta my league. I would definitely have to make substitutions.

16. schoenstricken says:

You guys are amazing! I could write my blog only about you and your great patterns. You have the most beautiful sence for color combining. I posted the wrap and the cuffed Handwarmers on my blog: http://schoenstricken.de/2013/02/strickanleitung-fur-sehr-breiten-schal-und-pulswarmer/
    Best from Berlin, Jessica

17. Ellen says:

This wrap is stunning. Thank you for the alternate yarn suggestions, this just moved to the top of my knit list!

Hi TrishKnits-

Please see my response to Rose above for more affordable alternative yarn suggestions. A great thing about this pattern is that you can use any worsted weight yarn you'd like!

Thank you for writing in, and good luck with the project.

19. kim says:

GORGEOUS wrap…question about the pattern and yarn and kits. some skeins are 100 yds, some are 200yds. i cannot tell from the pictures if the blocks of color vary or not, but do i need 200 yds per color??

thank you!

20. Barbara says:

This is fantastic. I can't wait to begin this. Could you possibly suggest a RED variation for the first two colors? I'd like to change the Pink Panther and the Hyacinth, but keep the Pinksicle and Mauve, and all the rest of the colors.

THANKS.

Hi Kim-

The color blocks are all different lengths depending on the length of the skeins.

100 yards will get you about 4 1/2-inches of length.

Thank you so much for your question!

Hi Barbara-

Faye suggests: Anzula for better or worsted taffy (pink) and candied apple (red): http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/7913-Anzula-For-Better-or-Worsted

or 8ply cash you say tomato as an alternative to the candied apple: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/819-Jade-Sapphire-8-ply-Cashmere

Thank you for your question!

23. Jane says:

What a great way to combine different types of favorite yarns I've been saving. I can now stretch that special spice orange cashmere with some Suri Merino, Swan Island and other worsted for a spectacularly scaled wrap. Of course, it means ordering a bit more yarn from you to work out the color palette :-) I'm aiming for orange, pink, poppy through neutrals, camel to citrine – like pashmina shawls or saris in India.

24. Lan says:

Hi, I have a question. I want to adapt this to more of a scarf and is thinking of cutting the width to about 10-12 inches. But I want to keep the length as is at 78 inches. Is it possible for you to tell me how many inches each corresponding color sections measure? So that when I knit I'll know when to stop the yarn since I won't be using up the full skein of each color, I don't think. Thanks!

25. Mary says:

Do you have any yarn recommendations for adapting this into a blanket? Would you still use worsted weight?

Hi Mary-

This could be adapted to a worsted weight blanket quite easily! To make a throw size you might need slightly less than double the yarn.

It could also work with a larger gauge yarn. You may want to check out these previous blanket posts for some inspiration with larger yarn: http://www.purlbee.com/double-seed-stitch-blanket/

27. Marijn says:

This is absolutely amazing! If only I had the time…

28. Karen says:

I am dying to knit this wrap. I know there are many options, but I wonder if you could make a kit using all worsted weight yarns in the same or similar colors.

Hi Karen-

We do have a kit, available here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/9045

Thanks for your question!

30. naserita says:

can't wait to knit this! i have a couple questions though.. would you need to block a piece like this? and how do you care for it? a post on cleaning/care for knits in general would be super useful too! unless it already exists and i've missed it!
    thanks!

Hi Naserita-

You don't need to block this unless it has any irregularities that you'd like to fix.

Thank you for the suggestion about a cleaning and care post, we will keep it in mind going forward.

32. Laurie says:

Georgeous wrap but even after doing an accurate swatch the width is 29 inches. Will ripp out and reduce the number of stitches to achieve 24. Did anyone else have this problem.

33. Melinda says:

This wrap is BEAUTIFUL! And I can't wait to knit it, it's next up on my knitting projects list. However, the $400 for the kit is too expensive for me. I did look up the other yarns you suggested for a lower cost, but was wondering if you could put together a color list that matches or is very similar to the original, using the lower cost yarns. I absolutely love the color combination and want to follow it as closely as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your help!

Hi Melinda-

Sure! If you call our store or website they will be happy to help you put something together.

Store: 212-420-8796
    Website: 800-697-PURL

Thank you for your question!

35. Beatrice says:

This wrap is georgeous!!
    Would it make any sense to knit this wrap in anzula cricket or even squishy to get a lighter wrap?
    And would I still need about 1700 yards of the lighter yarn to get the same size?
    Thanks for your help!

Hi Beatrice-

The wrap can easily be worn as a scarf and not feel to heavy and you could totally knit this out of a lighter weight!

If you were using a dk weight (azula cricket) I would probably add an extra 200yd. The same goes for the fingering weight (anzula squishy) I would add an extra 400yds.

Thanks for your question!

Faye

37. Shelley says:

Hi, I am a beginner, so my question might be stupid, but when changing color, do I just add the new colour and continue in the same pattern (purl 1, knit 1) or when I add the new colour do I always knit the first row? Is that why you say to always add the new colour on the same side?

Hi Shelly-

When you add a new color you continue in the same pattern, nothing changes but the color you're knitting.

Thanks so much for your question and good luck with the project!

39. Kira says:

Hello,

This wrap is absolutely gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! However, unfortunately the kit is out of my price league. I know you have suggested alternatives, but do you offer a kit matching the colour combination as shown above but using less expensive yarn? I have tried putting together a combination of 11 yarns from your website but it is sometimes difficult to really know if the colours match that well having 'only' a picture to go by. I wish I could pop into your shop myself but I live in France. :) The next time I come to NY though, this will be at the top of my list.

Thank you in advance for your reply and thank you for a wonderful and inspiring website!

Kira

Hi Kira-

We'd be happy to put something together for you. Please contact customerservice AT purlsoho DOT com and let them know what you had in mind.

Thank you for writing in!

41. Sarah says:

In the photos of the wrap I can only see 10 colours but in the materials photo and the text there are 11. An extra pink seems to have been added in the materials photo. Is this right or am I going batty?

Hi Sarah-

There are 11 colors in the wrap. It's hard to tell the difference between the first two pinks in the photos, so I understand your confusion, but the materials photo is correct.

Thanks for writing in and please let us know if you have any more questions!

43. Nadia says:

Hi. Thanks for this wrap! I am wondering if Heidi and Denim are out of order in the list for the skein lineup? With the yarn I have, it looks like denim follows deep denim in your picture?

Nadia

44. Chival says:

Hello,

This wrap is beautiful. I read to post on using Madeline Tosh Merino instead of the suggested yarn, however I wanted your thoughts on using the Madeline Tosh DK.

Best, Chival

Hi Chival-

That should be fine, I would just drop the needle size to a 7 instead of an 8.

Good luck with the project and thanks for writing in!

Faye

46. Anne says:

Hi,

I'm a beginning knitter and I love this pattern that you have here! I saw that you mentioned that you could use straight needles, but I just wanted to confirm. As long as the needles are 14" they can be used to cast on the 100+ stitches correct?

Thanks so much! (I'm not quite ready to move into circular needles yet!!)

Hi Anne-

Yes, you can use 14-inch straight needles. However, circular needles will be much easier and you don't treat them any differently than you would a set of straight needles, the cable between the needles just holds the stitches.

Thank you for your question!

48. Deb says:

Dear Molly:

Can you tell me which circular needle size 24" or 32" did the designer of the wrap use in knitting this project? I am getting ready to order the needles and was curious what was used. I do have the 14 inch straight needles, but I think the circulars might be easier. Thanks for letting me know. . . Deb

Hi Deb-

Faye used the 24-inch length, But either would work fine.

50. Katrina says:

I love this wrap…but I do not knit! :(
    any stitch suggestions for trying to achieve the same look with crochet?
    Katrina.