Fluffy Brioche Baby Blanket

Even though babies are so huggable, squeezable and delicious, we do have to put them down every now and then. That's when a Fluffy Brioche Baby Blanket comes in handy!

Wonderfully squishy and decadently soft, it is just right for a little playtime on the floor. And when it's all over, scoop up the whole cozy bundle... baby, blanket and all...  and get back to oohing and aahing!

Fluffy Brioche is one of our very favorite stitches. With its deep waffle texture and lofty thickness, it is just right for handsome hand knits. Plus, its four rows of patterning make for knitting that's interesting enough for a dull plane ride, but not so interesting that you miss the inflight rom com!

To show off the pretty complexity of Fluffy Brioche, we chose Cascade's stitch-defining Superwash 128. So soft and cuddly, Superwash 128 is a quick chunky weight, and as the name says, its totally machine washable. Plus, this yarn packs a ton of quality into an affordable price. Yay!

Get started on this classic pattern right here!

3 1/2 stitches = 1 inch in stitch pattern

Size

28 inches x 32 inches

Begin

Cast on 100 stitches.

Row 1 (wrong side): Slip 1 knitwise with yarn in back (slip 1 wyib), *yo, slip 1 wyib, k1* repeat from * to last stitch, p1. (149 stitches)

Row 2 (right side): Slip 1 wyib, *k1, k2tog* repeat from * to last stitch, p1. (100 stitches)

Row 3: Slip 1 wyib, k1, *yo, slip 1 wyib, k1* repeat from * until last two stitches, k1, p1. (148 stitches)

Row 4: Slip 1 wyib, k2, *k2tog, k1* repeat from * until last stitch, p1. (100 stitches)

Repeat Rows 1 through 4 until piece measures just under 32 inches, ending with Row 3.

Bind Off

Bind off in the established stitch pattern. Here's how:

Slip 1 wyib, k1, pass stitch over (just like a regular bind off!), *k1, pass stitch over, k2tog, pass stitch over, repeat from * to last stitch, p1, pass stitch over, cut the yarn and pull it through the remaining stitch.
Weave in your ends and gently block your blanket to get it nice and flat!

58 Responses to Fluffy Brioche Baby Blanket

Hi Gretta.
    Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately we don't have photo tutorial of this particular stitch, but I would love to try and trouble shoot with you. May I ask where you're having trouble? Is it by chance with the yo (yarn over)?
    Would love to help if you'd like to write us back.
    We will definitely get this stitch pattern on our list of things to shoot / video.
    Thanks again for writing in.
    Laura

2. Gretta says:

Thanks Laura,

When I have completed casting on, I commence row one by slipping knit wise, but then when I yarn over, it comes undone? Am I taking the yarn the wrong way?

I'm sorry to take up your time – its probably something so simple and silly but i just can't work it out!

Gretta

3. Gretta says:

Sorry, further to my last comment; I think my problem is going from yo to slip 1 wyib.

Isn't the yarn in front when i yarn over? how do I then slip 1 with yarn in back if i just bought the yarn over?

confused :z

Thanks, Gretta

Hi Gretta.
    I am happy to help… let me expand on the steps in row 1…

Row 1 (wrong side): Slip 1 knitwise with yarn in back (slip 1 wyib), *yo bringing the yarn between the needles to the front of the work, take the yarn over the top of the right needle in order to slip 1 wyib, k1* repeat from * to last stitch, p1. (149 stitches)

Does this help explain it a bit better?
    Please do not hesitate to follow up on this. I really want to get you comfortable with the pattern!
    Laura

• Thaisa says:

I still don’t get it. I’m actually half-way through this pattern and the way I’m doing it for the yarn over is: bring the yarn to the front, loop back in the same (right) needle, bring yarn to the front again. Then I slip as if to p, but the yarn is over the front. Then I put the yarn back and knit.

I’m assuming I’ll end-up with another pattern… but it still looks lovely and pretty similar to the pictures.

5. Pastille says:

Hello, I am busy knitting this lovely blanket and am so far thrilled with the results… however I just noticed that about 2 inches below my current knitting row there is an error on the edge. I must have either knit a stitch instead of slipping, or knit a stitch instead of pearling. Is there anything I can do to fix it? It is not a huge problem, but it is bugging me :) Thank you in advance for any suggestions, and thank yo so much for the beautiful pattern!

Hello Pastille.
    Sadly I think you only have two options, neither are ideal… leave the error and learn to love it or rip back to fix it. We're always thrilled to hear when a reader is enjoying a pattern; I'm glad you're liking this blanket. Let me know if you have any other questions! Thanks for writing in.
    Laura

7. Pastille says:

Hi Laura,

Thank you so much for you rapid response. That is unfortunate, I was hoping you would have an insider's technique for just undoing the edge and doing it back up but i guess it is not meant to be… I have knit too many rows now to undo it so I suppose I will have to learn to live with it… a lesson to pay better attention next time! (hopefully no one else will notice!) Thanks again for your help :)