Pin Loom Coasters

Imagine a group of extra-terrestrials gathered in a living room. They're poking and prodding a stack of coasters; and once condensation is explained to them and the subsequent ring on the table's surface is demonstrated, they all start bleeping and nodding their heads. Then they ask in their inter-galactic native tongue if it would be okay to take the coasters home with them... as proof of civilized life on Earth. I doubt this set of Pin Loom Coasters will be leaving the galaxy anytime soon, but in the interim, I'm happy to have them around! They're fresh and summery, cute and simple, and very civilizing. To make these pretty little squares I picked up Schacht Spindle Co's fabulous Zoom Loom. An updated version of a classic pin loom, the Zoom Loom is thoughtfully designed with smart details that make weaving a breeze. And now my head is swimming with ideas for all the things I'll make with my new skill: cute pockets, sachet pillows, gingham placemats, even blankets! To get everything you need to weave your own adorable set of Pin Loom Coasters, just click here. And make sure you whip up a few extras for any, ahem, visitors. -Whitney

The Materials

• A Zoom Loom from Shacht Spindle Co (This is optional. If you already own a pin loom, choose our yarn-only kit!)
  • For the Main Yarn: 1 skein of Cascade's Cascade 220, 100% pure new wool, in the color Natural.

This is enough yarn for a total of 16 coasters, 4 in each color. (You might even be able to eke out a fifth!)

The Pattern

Finished Size

3 5/8 x 3 5/8 inches

Begin

With the Main Yarn, warp the first three layers according to the Zoom Loom's instructions. Cut the yarn, leaving a 6-inch tail. Leaving a 6-inch tail, wrap the Contrast Yarn around the loom 5 times. Cut the yarn. Remove the Contrast Yarn from the loom and thread it onto the weaving needle (included with the Zoom Loom). Weave according to the instructions, starting at corner 1... ...and ending at corner 4.

Weaving in the Ends

At corner 4 (with the yarn still on the weaving needle), bring the needle over the first two warp threads and then follow the same weave pattern as the last row you wove. Thread the other Contrast Yarn tail onto the weaving needle (at Corner 2), and bring it under the first two warp threads. Follow along the pattern of the first row you wove. Thread the Main Yarn tail at Corner 2 onto the weaving needle. Inserting the needle between the first and second pin of the bottom row, weave over the first thread and under the next three, then follow along the pattern of the adjacent warp thread to the end of the row. Thread the other Main Yarn tail (at Corner 1) onto the weaving needle. Weave under the first three threads, then follow along the pattern of the adjacent warp thread to the end of the row. Here's how the coaster looks before you remove it from the loom: Now gently remove the coaster from the loom and trim the ends on the back side. Now make some more!

28 Responses to Pin Loom Coasters

1. Barbara says:

I've never done any weaving before, but this looks like so much fun! Is this a good project for an absolute beginner and would I be able to teach myself?

2. maryse says:

this is an adorable project. i have one of these looms and i love it.

3. Becca says:

I had to post a comment, because this was such a funny, cute post! Adorable project, too. I might be brave and get my kids involved….

4. Krisha says:

Oh I love your vision of an alien visit. That probably how it really would be…
    And this loom ingenious! My daughter would love this! And I will have to find my childhood mini loom!
    Thanks – great as usual!

5. Hannah says:

Soooo cute! I am intrigued by your place mat idea… I have been on a long search for the right place mats… And I think this pattern would be PERFECT. But I'm not very experienced with weaving, how would you make them place mat sized? Is there a different size loom or is there a way to do it on this size?

Thank you for helping me on my journey to the perfect place mats! : )

6. Kirsten says:

So cute. Is this similar to the Weavette loom or is that too big for this? Thanks!

Hi Barbara,

Absolutely! The Zoom Loom comes with a great instruction booklet that is totally geared toward beginner weavers.

Thanks so much for asking!
    Whitney

Hi Hannah,

Pin looms make just one size of a finished square (in this case, about a 3 1/2 to 4-inch square). So to make something beyond that, you sew the squares together in a patchwork fashion. The Zoom Loom instruction booklet shows you how!

I hope this clarifies things and that you're still inspired! Thanks for asking!
    Whitney

Hi Kirsten,

Yes, the Weavette is also a pin loom. The one I used is a 4 x 4 inch size. Any pin loom around that size would work great!

Thank you for your question!

Whitney

10. john says:

very nice & interesting

11. Dale says:

I have a Zoom Loom and I really enjoy making squares. Your coasters are beautiful. It would be great if you could post some pictures of sewing a place mat together. I'm having trouble getting the seams to look nice. Any help would be appreciated!
    Thank you.

12. Kate says:

I have such wonderful memories of working with simple cardboard looms when I was a kid. This would be the perfect project for a young crafter to try out a new, more grown-up tool like the pin loom. Thank you!

13. Sharyn says:

How absorbent are the coasters?

14. Pat Phythian says:

PIECEWORK magazine March/April 2010 has a wonderful article titled, "The Very Best Afghans in the World" by Robin Hansen. She tells about the afghans made by her grandmother with her Weave It loom, and also the history of the little wooden loom. Your coasters are so pretty. As soon as school's out for the summer, I plan to order your kit. Nothing is as much fun as learning a new needle craft.

15. Rebecca says:

it is just extraordinary how those super brights mute out when striped with the white. They look great.

Hi Sharyn,

They're quite absorbent! Definitely more than all those resin coasters out there!

Thanks for asking!
    Whitney

17. Karin says:

I have two vintage pin looms and have made everything from coasters to baby sweaters with them. Love the colors of your coasters. Very sweet!

18. Steph says:

I bought a zoom loom on my visit to your beautiful store two weeks ago! Never seen anything like it in England.also bought one for my mum!hope to get to visit again!

19. Ann says:

Love my pin loom a great how to video is on you tube. Made a Maze blanket out of the squares for my grandson keeps him busy when he can't sleep

20. Marie Taylor says:

I ordered a coaster kit with loom the other day along with some other crewel yarns. I can't wait for it all to get here. The tracking said not until Thursday.

21. Kel says:

To show you are extremely civilized, I think it would be cute to sew them together like granny squares to make some sort of little girl's jumper. Aliens, even you don't have something as cute as a three year old decked out in a colorful patchwork jumper!

22. Cheryl says:

I purchased this wonderful loom a year ago to make prayer squares for our prayer shawl group to distribute. They are small , portable, and let our children in college or the military know we are thinking about them. Your two color version is much prettier than ours, and your instructions are much easier to follow than those that came with the loom.. Thank you for sharing.

23. Cat says:

THANK YOU. I have been looking for instructions to do a different yarn for the weft for 30 minutes now….I thought I'd have to improvise. The schact instructions of "use a slipknot to attach to a corner pin" are less than useful. You're a loom-saver!

24. Knitting with Ólöf says:

25. I just got a zoom loom. Thank you for your great idea and instruction on using 2 different yarns. I'm quite addicted to the thing.

26. ZoeOB says:

Thank you! Thank you! I have purchased a Zoom Loom, read the instructions, watched the video and still couldn’t make sense of it. Your instructions are so clear I’ve now made three little practice coasters. (P.S. Love the new site!)

27. Barb says:

Great ideas! Just wondering what other yarns could be used?

• Whitney from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Barb,

You can use any yarn from worsted weight to laceweight. A thicker yarn will make a denser fabric and a thinner yarn will make something a bit more diaphanous. You can even mix weights for interesting effects, like we did for these coasters!

Thanks for asking and please let us know if you have any other questions!
      Whitney