Introducing Purl Soho Video Tutorials!

If a picture is a worth a thousand words, how many for a video? A whole lot! Which is why we are so thrilled to announce our latest endeavor… Purl Soho video tutorials!

Our idea to create and share instructional videos comes from the very heart of what we love to do: spread the joy of crafting.  We strive everyday to empower our readers and customers with the tools to make the imaginary real, to inspire that “aha!” moment when everything becomes clear.

Our first four videos explain common knitting increases and decreases: knit two togetherknit front and back, make one right and left, and slip slip knit (above). In each video tutorial Laura walks step-by-step through the new skill, covering common uses and abbreviations and leading you to your own personal “aha!” moment.

PS: We will be adding more video tutorials regularly and would love to hear your suggestions. What knitting, crocheting, sewing or embroidery technique do you want to see in video? Let us know!

50 Responses to Introducing Purl Soho Video Tutorials!

1. Patti S. says:

A video on the granny square. I am starting to crochet and would love to learn this technique. Thanks for all you do!

2. anna says:

awesome!!! this is so great you guys!

3. H says:

Bravo! I've always admired knitters and their creations but have always failed miserably when it came to deciphering knitting books and their photos.

The video series might be just the thing to get this twenty-year desire out of the ditch :)

4. Cathy E says:

How about different knitting bindoffs and Kitchener stitch. I always have to look up Kitchener stitch every time I use it!!

5. Tara says:

What great news! I can't count the number of times I use Purl Soho tutorials for techniques and they'd all gone a bit weird or missing since the site upgrade, so this will be excellent.

6. amelia says:

Thank you for being amazing! Your blog truly makes my life better. I'm very excited about these tutorials.

7. Ashley says:

This is wonderful! I was on your site today looking through scarf patterns, and was stumped by the herringbone stitch. A video tutorial would be really helpful for that one! I hope to see it on here sometime. :)

8. anna says:

awesome!!! this is so great you guys!

9. Angie says:

Yay, finally! I hope you will create videos to go along with some of your patterns! How about a video to go with your tutorial for attached i-cord? Mine never seem to turn out just right.

10. H says:

11. Melia says:

Oh, please do a tutorial on cabling. Every time I try, I end up with more stitches than I should!

12. Dawn says:

I'd love to see a video of the Log Cabin from the first pick up stitches through the second pick up stitches.

13. rae says:

Great video. Great visual. LOVE the white yarn against the dark background. Easy to look at, easy to understand!

14. Margaret says:

I'd love to see a tutorial on how to knit with multiple colors — like fair isle.

15. Tina says:

Hi, love the videos. I have a problem maybe you can give me advice…My left edge never looks as good as my right edge. Rt edge I slip first stitch and it is nice and smooth but the last stitch I stitch, turn and slip that stitch and seems to be looser and not as nice looking. Am I doing something wrong?

Love your site, made the deep V short sleeve sweater and love it!!!!

16. Beth Z says:

Thanks so much I love a good tutorial, use them if I can find good ones. So happy I now have a "go to" place!

17. CocoaJNHolic says:

Can't wait to see your teaching videos. I need one on how to do short rows. I just don't understand them.

18. Lisa says:

I'd love to see a tutorial on picking up stitches so I can whip up some log cabin washcloths!

19. Josie says:

This is FABULOUS. It makes everything so clear…an AHA experience to be sure. My kids all say I cast on crazy and have shown me a number of times a "right" way to do it. As an old dog I always forget so a Casting On video would be GREAT for me. Thanks.

Hi Tina.
    This is such a common concern / question. You are not alone. Without seeing your work, my guess is that you knit and purl with different tensions. So, on the Right Side of your work, after slipping you are knitting or doing a combination of knitting and purling, but primarily knitting. On the Wrong Side of your work, you are probably primarily purling and you probably purl looser than you knit and so after slipping that first stitch, the purl stitches that follow it, aren't done as tautly as the knit stitches on the RS and so that edge has a looseness to it that your other edge does not.

Over time your tension might even out a bit more, minimizing this difference.

I hope this helps.
    Laura

21. Jennifer w says:

I have been knitting for about 18 years and I have taught myself pretty much everything. The problem is I feel like there is never instructions on "finishing" pieces. Like weaving In ends or making ends really secure or how I avoid the really weird gap when you bind off knitting in the round. Things like this that make or break an item. I'd love to know what you do. Likedo you knot ends when you will be machine washing then?

22. Shu in the UK says:

Lovely. I was taught recently how to knit, purl, cast on and cast off, but I'm having to teach myself the rest!

My question would be to ask you experienced knitters if there are differences in US and UK knitting terminology. I was trying to teach myself to crochet with library books and YouTube and failing miserably until I found out that all the stitches have different names. Divided by a common language!

23. Albert says:

Hi there?

I was wondering if you could make a tutorial about how to make a man's satchel? It doesn't even have to be a video (although they look super), but I am going back to school in a few weeks and I'd love to have something stylish and personal (and preferably a bit like a messenger bag!)

I have to say though, I really do love your site. Since visiting your shop on a trip to New York in Easter, I have been totally inspired and am now aiming at a fashion university here in London…

Albert

24. Maria says:

I'm with Jennifer, I'd like to see more advanced finishing techniques. I'd also love to see different seaming techniques, and my nemesis, set-in sleeves.

25. Mari says:

I'd love it if you could show the basics in continental also.

26. Marita says:

Hi there,

Great to have it all together!!
    Don't need to search on you tube anymore.
    Thanks for sharing!

MaritavdR from holland

27. ZielonaMila says:

Great post, fantastic presentation:) Greetings

28. Charlotte says:

I'd love to see a how to video on the Kitchener stitch and on some cable techniques.

29. Lizzie says:

This is a fantastic idea and a lovely service for your readers. Thank you so much!!

30. Lyn says:

Love all your video tutorials:) Wish they were also done for left handed knitters. Believe it or not there are a lot of us out there. Tried the mirror technique but it doesn't work for me:( Also would like to see more on finishing. I end up giving my sweaters to others to finish and it ends up costing more money.

31. Kelsey says:

I would love a how-to video on Fair Isle knitting. It is next on my list to try, but I am too nervous of a tangled mess of yarn balls to actually give it a go.

32. Claire B. says:

I'd love one on short rows!

33. Ingrid says:

Hello! I would love to learn and master short rows. So many beautiful shawl patterns on my list could be made. All the best…

34. Elaina says:

Awesome! So easy to understand! You went slow enough so we could see what you were doing and you did it twice which I LOVE in knitting videos! Will definitely be watching more!!

35. Melissa says:

The videos are so great! Really easy to see and understand. Maybe now I will get up the courage to learn. Thanks so much!!!

36. Linda says:

G R E A T tutorial. Thank you!!

37. Char says:

This is great! Like others, I'd love to see something on weaving in ends and also on picking up stitches – I can never get it right! Thanks

38. Laura T says:

I made the beautiful herringbone scarf with recommended yarn – it worked up very nicely, but I ended up with a few funky looking mistakes. When I messed up I wasn't sure how to fix it – might you be able to do a tutorial on the herringbone stitch and how to fix mistakes? (Like when you set your knitting down on the coffee table to fix yourself a new cup of hot tea, and the dog decides to take it and run across the living room). Thanks!!

39. Johanna says:

Short rows! In easy projects, everything is fine – but the more complex it gets, the trickier I find picking up those wrapped stiches so everything looks neat. I'd also really enjoy a video on different edge stiches, be it for a scarf or something that will be sewn together.

40. Suzonne says:

I'm so inspired by all of the projects you post, but I feel truly stymied by being a lefty. It seems there's never any good instruction for lefties, which I would truly appreciate!

41. Ewelina says:

Dear Purl Bee Team,

I LOVE your site! I visit it reguarly excited to find out what new amazing projects you suggested this time.
    So far I produced only your rick rack scarf which turned out great despite a little weird colour (strange shade of lilac) that I chose :) and several 20-min totes which are a hit among me friends.

I love the idea of video tutorials! I would like to suggest some really basic stuff like casting on, binding off and simply knitting / purling.
    I hold the needles and yarn a bit differently, I never knit / purl the first stich – that's how my mum taught me – I guess it's continental / German attitute? So seeing how you guys do it, would be extremely interesting / helpful.

Thank you & a big hug from Europe!
    I wish your store was closer…

42. No suggestions (I'm still new enough to knitting that I don't know what I don't know yet!) but I just wanted to say how nice these videos are. So lovely and clear – not to mention being the most stylish tutorials I've ever seen! Beautifully shot and designed, as indeed is everything you do. Thank you for sharing.

43. gloria says:

I would love to see a left and right paired lifted increases. My sisters and I successfully made toe up socks (first attempt for them) but I fear they will have difficulty making another pair now that I'm 900 miles away. They have terrible arthritis and I found it was the easiest increase for their limited range of motion.

44. Chris says:

Thank you for a wonderful site and great patterns. And now videos – perfect.

Please do one on provisional cast-ons

Oh, and another on short rows!

Oh, and I would love to see one on the best way to join a new yarn (either new colour or new ball) – even though I have knit quite a bit, I'm always unsure about the best way to do this.

Thank you, thank you!!!!!

45. kim t. says:

:: backwards crochet border on a knitted piece (or crochet, i suppose…)

:: how to typically do sleeves if you're knitting a top down sweater

:: how to use double pointed needles

:: how to piece together knitted garments

:: cable cast-on

well, I could go on. :) I am a beginner!

46. Claire says:

Huge fan of your blog! This blog is the main reason I got into knitting in the first place. I wish we had something like your store here in Vancouver, BC!

How about knitting button holes?

47. Jen says:

Where did the yo video go. I am a new knitter and saw the post a week or two ago and wanted to try it this evening. Not sure where the link is now. Can you help me? Thanks so much, love this blog, by the way!! Jen

Hi Jen-

There was a technical problem with the YO video so we had to take it down. We are working on a new version and it should be up in the next couple of weeks.

Sorry to leave you hanging and thanks for getting in touch!

49. Kelli says:

Looking for the how-to beginning of knitting an afghan using US 17 round needles.

50. Anna says:

I’d love to learn how to get jogless stripes in the round.