Worsted Twist Seed Stitch Scarf

Like peanut butter and chocolate, like Fred and Ginger, some things are meant to be together. That's why we've introduced our favorite new yarn, Purl Soho's Worsted Twist, to our favorite old pattern, the Amazing Seed Stitch Wrap!

From sensational pink through a soft world of neutrals into the land of mysterious blues, this extra-wide scarf journeys through a rainbow of Worsted Twist. We love the surprises, the poetry and the beauty. And in one hundred percent of the softest-ever merino wool, we love the feeling too!

To pick up all nine skeins of Worsted Twist, just click here. And since this version has a slightly different gauge than the original, read on for the Worsted Twist Seed Stitch Wrap pattern. Then wrap yourself in a gorgeous cocoon of color!

Get all the yarn you need with our Yarn for Worsted Twist Seed Stitch Scarf kit. It includes...

• 9 skeins of Purl Soho's Worsted Twist, 100% merino wool. From the top, these colors are Timeless Navy, Peacock Blue, Desert Blue, Ice Blue, Oyster Gray, Sea Salt, Heirloom White, Ballet Pink and Super Pink.

You'll also need...

4 1/2 stitches = 1 inch in seed stitch

Size

Approximately 22 inches wide x 80 inches long

Notes

The color order is pictured and listed above in The Materials section.

With the first color, cast on 99 stitches.

Row 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.

Repeat Row 1 for each row until end of skein.

Change to the second color at the beginning of the next row and repeat Row 1 until end of skein.

Repeat with each color, making sure to always change colors on the same side.

When you are nearly finished with the ninth skein, bind off in pattern.

Weave in the ends and you're finished!

58 Responses to Worsted Twist Seed Stitch Scarf

1. Kerry says:

I love this scarf but would like to make one color change. I would like to replace the Heirloom white with another color that would have a slightly stronger contrast with the Ballet pink. Do you have a suggestion?

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Kerry-

I would either use the Otter Brown or take out the Heirloom White and add either Dragonfly Blue or Steel Blue to the blue mix. I hope this helps! Good luck with the project!

2. LaNett says:

I really love this scarf and I just learned to knit, I cannot afford to buy the yarn for this scarf and was wondering if you could recommend an alternative to the yarn that the pattern is calling for? It would sure be appreciated.

LaNett

3. Mya Anderson says:

If I wanted to make this using Anzula’s For Better or Worsted, would I still need 9 skeins?

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Mya-

If you’re using the For Better or Worsted you can use 7 skeins for a slightly shorter wrap or 8 for a wrap that is slightly longer.

Thanks for your question!

4. Betsy says:

When you say “always change colors on the same side” I am confused. I am seen this before and I don’t know how to tell which side is the “same side.”

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Betsy-

It can be hard to tell with a pattern like this that looks the same on both sides so I’d recommend putting a removable stitch marker or safety pin on one side of your work. That way you can just make sure you’re always on the side when you switch colors.