Color Tipped Scarf

Come fall, I just know I will be that fumbling girl on the sidewalk, bag falling off my shoulder and coffee spilling on innocent passersby, as I gracelessly reach around for my trailing scarf… which has come unwrapped… again. Fess up! I know I’m not alone in this. I see fellow strugglers, cluelessly strutting about with their scarves dragging behind, picking up all the wonders of the city’s floor.

There is a science to securing a scarf. With neat triangular ends and a gently gripping garter stitch texture, this dapper Color Tipped Scarf longs to hold tight and budge-free! And not incidentally, the bright pointy tips provide a delightful pop of color, saving us all from too scientific an approach to scarf design!

Knit up in Purl Soho’s new Worsted Twist, the Color Tipped Scarf is fantastically soft, hearty, and beautifully simple. You can buy all the yarn you’ll need with our Yarn for Color Tipped Scarf kit. One kit makes one adult scarf OR two kids’ scarves. It’s available in three pretty colorways, or create your own from our full palette of colors right here. Here’s to a fumble-free fall, enjoy! -Laura

Get all the yarn you'll need to make one adult scarf or two kids scarves with our Yarn for Color Tipped Scarf kit. Each kit includes...

Choose from three colorways...

Yellow

You will also need…

4 1/2 stitches = 1 inch in garter stitch

Sizes

For Kid (Adult)...

• Before blocking: Approximately 5 1/2 (8) inches wide x 56 (79) inches long
  • After blocking*: Approximately 5 1/2 (8) inches wide x 58 (82) inches long
    *Garter stitch has a tendency to “grow” with blocking and wear.

Begin and Increase

With Yarn A, cast on 3 stitches.

*Increase Row (right side): K1, knit one into front and back (k1fb), knit to end. (1 stitch increased)

Knit 3 rows.

Repeat from * 20 (31) more times. [24 (35) stitches]

Repeat Increase Row. [25 (36) stitches]

Knit 1 row.

Cut yarn.

Continue and Work Evenly

With right side facing, join Yarn B. Work evenly in garter stitch, knitting each row, for entire length of 1(2) skein(s), or desired length. End with a wrong side row so that when you add Yarn C, its tail will be on the same side as Yarn B’s tail.

Cut yarn.

Continue and Decrease

With right side facing, join Yarn C.

**Decrease Row (right side): Knit to last three stitch, k2tog, k1. (1 stitch decreased)

Knit 3 rows.

Repeat from ** 20 (31) more times. [4 stitches]

Repeat Decrease Row. [3 stitches]

Finish

Bind off.

Weave in ends and block.

31 Responses to Color Tipped Scarf

1. Ana BC says:

So lovely! I thibk I will try it soon…

2. Hannah says:

I love this design! Could you post some pictures of how to wear it? I'm not sure what you mean by the "tuck" and I scrolled wanting to see a picture of it on a model!

3. Maria H says:

Great scarf in garter stitch….my favorite.

4. Hannapat says:

It looks wonderful, well done on another fab project!! xo

5. Elle says:

So simple, yet quite compelling. I'm picturing all sorts of color combos.

6. Anna says:

I agree with Hannah. Please show on a model. (:

7. Laura says:

Yes! Lovely. But I would also like to see a picture of the 'tuck' you mention. Would be most helpful!

8. Simone says:

From the first picture I thought that each side had 2 points, that idea was lovely to me. One would have a "bunch" of points (4) in different colours together. And layed out it looks a bit like an alligators head, very appealing for boys. Thanks for the inspiration! (I to am puzzeled by the "tuck" by the way.) Have a lovely day.

9. Anna says:

Simone! That is a wonderful idea! An alligator, snake or DRAGON

Hanna + Anna + all…
    We will get a picture up of the scarf on model or dress form as soon as we can! Thank you so much for your interest in the pattern and for commenting too.
    Thanks.
    Laura

11. Mariko says:

Any chance you could make it a crochet pattern? I'm a terrible knitter but I love the scarf. Thanks x

12. Lysa says:

I love the bold blocks of color and interesting pointy tips!

13. Janymae says:

I think this scarf would be a fabulous gift for someone going off to college! A neutral around the neck, and the college's colors on the tips.

14. Simone says:

You can make it in a grassy green with double points at one end and then make a red felt tongue in between the points. And then crochet the backfinns over the middle in a darler green. The other side of the scarf ending in a single point. That would make it dragonlike without being glaringly obvious.
    Have a wonderful day!

15. Catherine says:

Child's size is adorable on an adult. Great, easy length to tie and jazz up a simple outfit!

16. Christianne says:

I am not sure I understand the 'knit 3 rows'. In your pictures, it looks like a steady increase/decrease, but I feel like if you knit three rows, it would end up looking like stairs. Am I missing something here?

Hi Christianne,
    That's a great thing to ask about… Because garter stitch has such a dense row gauge, working 3 rows between each increase/decrease still results in a fairly smooth edge. The pattern accurately reflects the pictured scarves.
    Thanks for asking.
    Laura

18. Lynn says:

Love the scarf! Would love to know the length of the middle section for the adult scarf.

Hi Lynn,
    Thanks! Glad you like it. The middle section of the adult scarf, before blocking, is approximately 49 inches long. The tails, before blocking, are approximately 15 inches long each.
    Hope this helps.
    Laura

20. chicago says:

I am new to knitting. Having trouble understanding the increase in the beginning of the pattern.
    when you mean repeat: ( excerpt directly from the pattern)
    Knit 3 rows.
    Repeat from * 20 (31) more times. [24 (35) stitches]

Am I doing the one stich increase and knitting 3 rows -31 more times?
    or just the increase 31 more times ?
    Also how do you get 35 stiches? Does it not increase to just 31 stiches as you increase every row from the 5 row onwards??

Please explain.

Thank you.

Hi Chicago,
    You repeat everything from the *. In other words you repeat the Increase Row as well as the 3 knit rows.

You start with 3 stitches, then you work the Increase Row (giving you 4 stitches), then you are instructed to work the Increase Row + the 3 knit row 31 more times (31 + 4 = 35 stitches).

I hope this is clear. Please write back with any other questions you may have.
    Thanks,
    Laura

22. chicago says:

Thank you Laura!

23. Lorri says:

Hi, I wanted to make this for my son. He wants it in green with orange tips. What yarn could I use and what modifications do I need to make to the pattern?
    Thanks

Hi Lorri.
    The yarn used here is a worsted weight yarn. Below are links to some other worsted weight yarns that have the color selections you're searching for. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
    Laura
    For Better or Worsted
    Cascade 220
    Maxima
    Worsted Cotton
    Kersti (this is a DK weight, but has wonderful colors)

25. Lorri says:

Hi Laura,
    I got the Kersti yarn. Beautiful! But… It is so much thinner than the worsted. Do I still use the size 8 needles?
    Thanks so much,
    Lorri

Hi Lorri,
    Kersti is a beautiful yarn indeed. I would definitely go down in needle size from what is suggested for the Worsted Twist since the yarn you are using is thinner. A US6 is recommended for that yarn. Make a small swatch to test your yarn with your needles to ensure you will end up with a fabric you like (not too loose or holy, not too tight or dense). You can check out a few posts we have on swatching here: http://www.purlbee.com/knitting-tutorials-getting-rea/
    Of course since your yarn is thinner, the gauge will change, but that just means the scarf will be a bit thinner.
    Please let us know if you have any other questions.
    Laura

27. Carla says:

Hi! I love this idea! Do you think this could work using miss stitch?

Hi Carla,
    I am unfamiliar with "miss stitch". I would love to answer your questions though. Please write us back!
    Laura

29. Carol says:

Hi laura,

Just love the scarves.Really pretty.Can you please tell me what size the hanks of yarn are..Regards Carol

Hi Carol-

All of the information on this yarn can be found here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/9239-Purl-Soho-Worsted-Twist

Thank you for getting in touch!

31. tidymaze says:

Cute scarf! Now I know what to do with some of my leftover yarn! And maybe I'll have it done in time for this fall. ;-)