Crocheted Rib Cowl

I know that crocheters sometimes feel like the Cinderella of the needlecraft ball. While her adored stepsister, Belle Knit, dances the night away, Crochet-erella stays home sifting the internet for hard-to-find modern crochet patterns. That's why we love to use whatever magic we can muster in order to restore Crochet-erella to her rightful place as the glass-slipper-wearing fashion princess that she is!

This Rib Cowl is as lush and dramatic, cascading and gorgeous, as any knit counterpart. And in Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino, it's seriously cozy too. I plucked this beautiful, wear-with-everything Storm Gray from our newest palette of moody neutrals. Just right for a ball gown!

In a simple rib stitch that even very beginners can master, your Rib Cowl will definitely be done before midnight! And for more experienced crocheters who don't yet know how to make a Foundation Single Crochet (a foundation chain and the first row of single crochet all at once!), take this opportunity to learn with our new tutorial right here.

So, at last, Crochet-erella can get off the internet and join the party! I love a happy ending! -Whitney

• 5 skeins of Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino, 100% merino. This color is Storm Gray. Check out our other beautiful grays too: Oyster Gray is pale and delicate and Toasted Charcoal is warm and dark.
  • Boye's size P crochet hook (10mm)

2 1/3 single crochets = 1 inch

Size

Finished Dimensions: 9 inches wide x 60 inches in circumference

Note

To make the Rib Stitch you create a single crochet fabric as usual, but instead of inserting the hook under both loops of the previous row's single crochets, you insert the hook only under the back loop. The pink below indicates three "back loops"...

And here is the hook going under a back loop...

If You Are a Beginner Crocheter...

Chain 141.

Foundation Row: Starting with second chain from hook, make 1 single crochet into each chain. (140 stitches)

If You Are a More Experienced Crocheter...

Make a Foundation Single Crochet of 140 stitches. (If you haven't tried this technique, it's well worth learning! Check out our Foundation Single Crochet Tutorial right here.)

Everyone...

*Turn the work. Make 1 single crochet into the back loop of each stitch. (140 stitches)

Repeat from * until piece measures 9 inches from the beginning, ending so that the working yarn is on the same end of the piece as the foundation tail.

Cut the yarn, leaving a 3-foot tail, and pull it through the remaining stitch.

Thread the tail onto a yarn needle and checking that the cowl isn't twisted, sew the two ends together. Make sure that the ribs line up on one side (this will be the "right side"). I found that a simple whip stitch looks best...

Weave in the ends and wrap yourself up!

38 Responses to Crocheted Rib Cowl

1. Jane says:

Yay! Thanks for bringing Crochet to the ball!

Truly modern & magical.

2. Julie says:

Lovely! I can't wait to try this! You should try this with an alternating color…

3. Mary Clare says:

Thank you thank you thank you!

I recently sent you guys an email asking for more crochet patterns and this is just beautiful!

I'm still new at crocheting, but I love the look of this scarf and I will be trying this pattern out in the next few days!

4. Alison says:

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this pattern, now I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I have been looking for a project for my peacock super soft merino wool and this is it.

5. Karen Margrethe Ur-Rehman says:

All knitters know how to make a rib scarf, but not everybody has learnt knitting but crocheting or like crochet better. I do both but I love the possibility of choise. Thanks for this and all the other nice patterns. <3 from Karen, Denmark

6. denise says:

Thanks so much for sharing. Happy Friday!

7. Leslie says:

Oh my, this is just lovely! Thank you for sharing the pattern. And THANK YOU for helping fill the void of fashionable crochet projects! Crochet is my first love, but has been the "ugly stepsister" for so long! :)

8. Sophie says:

It's beautiful! I am making it right now!!! Love it! Thank you!

9. GG says:

Oh yeah..I'm loving it!!

10. Jennifer G says:

Thanks for doing more crochet patterns! This is gorgeous and I have everything I need to whip it up this weekend. :)

Also wanted to mention that I just bought the Purl Soho learn to knit kit to dip my toes into the knitting waters. Can't wait until it gets here!!

11. Peggy says:

Crochet! Hurray! We crocheters get a little crotchety when everything seems to always be about knitting. Thanks for not ignoring us. I will be trying this pattern as my next project.

12. Adrienne says:

I loovve this pattern. Thanks so much for the crochet love!

13. Shauna H. says:

My family is sensitive to wool. Can you suggest one of your beautiful cotton yarns and how many skeins I would need? This looks like a wonderufl cowl. Thanks so much.

14. Shelley says:

Him I an trying to find a size P crochet hook, and I can't seem to find a consistent US to metric conversion! Can you tell me once and for all if size P is 10 mm or 15 mm??

15. Deborah says:

How would I knit this beautiful scarf? I'm not ready to learn to crochet yet, but I'd love to make something similar.

Hi Shauna H,

We don't have a cotton that is exactly the gauge of the Super Soft Merino, but I'd recommend working with Blue Sky's Worsted Cotton: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/721-Blue-Sky-Worsted-Cotton . It's incredibly soft and supple and comes in lots of beautiful colors.

You'll want to double it to get about the same gauge as we did here. Our Chevron Baby Blanket illustrates how Worsted Cotton looks doubled (it's knit, but you get the idea): http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2011/9/15/whits-knits-chevron-baby-blanket.html . You'll need 6 skeins of the Worsted Cotton.

Thanks so much for asking and please let us know how it turns out!

Whitney

HI Shelley,

I'm not sure if I can tell you "once and for all", but the general consensus seems to be that a size P hook is a 10.00 mm in metric size.

Thanks for asking!

Whitney

Hi Deborah (and other knitters!).

The Cartridge Belt Rib pattern would be a great knitting translation of crocheted rib. Our Forever Baby Blanket shows you what I'm talking about and also explains the stitch pattern: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2011/1/26/whits-knits-forever-baby-blanket.html . When you knit your cowl just be sure to cast on a multiple of 4 plus 3 stitches (like 19, 23, or 27).

Thanks for asking and please let us know if you have any other questions!

Whitney

19. Tracie says:

Love this – but might want to make lit with less length to it. How many chain stitches would you think might work for a shorter version?

20. Jane says:

I recently finished this and loved both the pattern and yarn. Your comments about the similarity to cartridge belt rib now has my mind whirling! I see a crocheted Forever Baby Blanket in my future. Thanks again for your fresh take on crochet!

21. Serena says:

Hi! Looks like a great pattern. I have about 240 yards of worsted weight yarn and was wondering if it's possible to make this cowl using 70 foundation chain stitches instead of 140? What increments does the foundation chain have to be in?

Hi Serena,

Your foundation chain can be any number for this stitch pattern to work. To figure out how long it should be exactly, you should crochet a gauge swatch, determine the number of stitches you get per inch and multiply that by the number of inches you want your cowl to be.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks so much for these!

Whitney

Hi Tracie,

You can chain any number for this stitch pattern. So, to figure out how many you'd like, first figure out your gauge (how many single crochets per inch you crochet, using the yarn and hook you intend to use for the cowl). Then multiply that number by the length you'd like and add one. For example, this pattern has a gauge 2 1/3 single crochets per inch x 60 inches (the length) = 140 + 1 = 141 chains.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks for this one!

Whitney

24. Cindy says:

I love the look of this cowl and really enjoy your website.
    I am in the beginner crocheter category. I am finished the third row of the cowl and my ends don't seem to be lining up at all.
    I have never crocheted a pattern before that didn't require a "chain one or more" at the turn part – is this required for your pattern, as it is not mentioned? Maybe this is something that accomplished crocheters know?
    Thanks for the great tutorials and sharing your beautiful patterns.

HI Cindy,

I have lately learned (from a Purl Bee reader!) that a single crochet fabric doesn't really require the chain 1 at the turn. You just have to be sure to make single crochets into every single stitch from the previous row. It looks just as good as making a chain 1 and it's easier!

Of course, if you're more comfortable with the technique you know, that's fine too!

Thanks for asking and please let us know if you have any more questions!

Whitney

26. Susan says:

My "P" hook says 11 1/2 mm on it Shelley and Whitney. I used the P hook and the stitches don't look as tight as the picture and I used a skein of Lion Brand Homespun I had in my stash. I might frog this and use a smaller hook to try to get the tighter look. Great pattern.

27. Marie Brooks says:

Hi.
    Just wanted to know if you have a pattern for making scarfs for coverage for a hole in neck . My brother needs something that warm and able to breathe through it.
    crotchet if possible…. easy need to make
    Marie Brooks

28. Maria says:

Loooks lovely and easy.Thank you!

29. Peggy says:

Hurray for Crochet!!! Yes, we do feel left out most of the time… I will be whipping up this cowl for my mama. I love it!

Hi Marie Brooks,

I think this would be a great pattern for such a purpose! Some men would perhaps prefer if you were to forgo sewing the ends together, but otherwise, this project is what you describe: very warm, yet not particularly dense.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and thank you for this one!

Whitney

31. AMA says:

How long would if take a beginner to complete?

32. Linda L. says:

Hi Whitney,

I checked the three "P" hooks that you have for sale on Purl Soho – the Skacel is a 16 mm; the Susan Bates is an 11.5 mm and the Boye is a 10 mm. This is really frustrating since the difference between 10 and 16 mm is going to produce a very different finished product.
    I realize this isn't your fault, of course, since you don't control the manufacturer's labelling on their products. I thought the purpose of moving to metric was that all the hook and needle sizes would be consistent but if the various companies are still using different standards for conversion, it won't help much.
    Would it be possible for Purl Soho to move to metric hook measurements in your patterns and list the metric equivalent for the hooks in your online shop so that when we are ordering, we will get the same thing no matter which company we choose? "X" mm is always the same size while the letter sizing is not.
    Thanks.

33. Lilop says:

Oh!
    Love<3

Hi AMA,

Hard to say! I'd guess somewhere between five and ten hours.

I hope you give it a try; it's a great beginner pattern! Please let us know if you have any more questions and good luck!

Whitney

Hi Linda L,

True, I understand your frustration! In the materials list I linked specifically to Boye's size P crochet hook, hoping to avoid confusion, but you're absolutely correct that the metric size would be helpful for people who may already own a collection of hooks!

Boye's size P hook is 10mm. I've added that info to the materials list and to our web site's product description.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and questions. Please let us know if you have more!

Whitney

36. Linda L. says:

I'm making the cowl now and it is sooooo gorgeous.
    I'm using Homespun Thick & Quick and was having a bit of trouble getting the back loop. My daughter, who was sitting on the other side of my work, pointed out that you're actually crocheting along the top of the row instead of from the front of the work. I turned the piece in my left hand up so I'm looking at the top and it's so much easier to see and get into the back loop. I hope this is useful.
    Happy New Year to everyone at Purl Bee!!

37. Sherri-Lynn says:

I am a stricktly crochet kinda girl. But….I love the look of knit. So, thank you for this pattern. I followed your foudation chain (LOVE IT!!!!) instructions. So glad you posted that. I have often been annoyed with the no-stretch of a plain old chain stitch to start.
    So, I did this scarf with regular sized (worsted?) yarn that is super soft and a 10mm hook. It turned out so great! Thank you. I love it.

38. Kate says:

Just finished this and it is GORGEOUS!! And your yarn is every bit as wonderfully soft and squishy as it looks. What an amazing treat. Thank you for giving us crocheters something simple, stylish and warm to make this bitter winter better.