Super Easy Blankets!

The Purl Bee's Super Easy Blanket was one of our very first patterns, and all these years later, it still satisfies us with its easy modernity and lively versatility. Since its introduction, we've knit this blanket in oodles of colors and yarns and sizes, each version highlighting a fresh idea. And now Purl Soho's Worsted Twist and Super Soft Merino yarns have inspired a new stack of gorgeous Super Easy Blankets!

With its tidy spin Worsted Twist gives our Worsted Twist Super Easy Crib Blankets a crisp and elegant finish. And perfectly midweight, these blankets have a wonderful heft and lush softness, so nice for chilly stroller rides and cold nights!

Worsted Twist's palette of soft and mellow blues, punctuated by bursts of hot pink and bright yellow, creates  four beautiful color stories: Heron (shown above), Macaron, Slipper, and Neptune. Choose your favorite right here with our new Yarn for Worsted Twist Super Easy Crib Blanket kits.

And for a wintertime blanket or anytime playmat, whip up our Super Soft Merino Super Easy Crib Blanket. Same seven bold stripes, same generous crib size, and same incredible soft touch, but this version is heavier, thicker and quicker to knit. Our Super Soft Merino Super Easy Crib Blanket kits come in six inspiring colorways, each special in its own way!

Super Soft Merino or Worsted Twist? Worsted Twist or Super Soft Merino? Both? To weigh your options, click here for the Super Soft Merino Crib Blanket pattern and simply read on for the Worsted Twist Super Easy Crib Blanket pattern. And to view each yarn kit (including photos of each finished blanket), click here for the Super Soft Merino and here for the Worsted Twist. Let us know what you decide!

Get all the yarn you'll need with our Yarn for Worsted Twist Super Easy Crib Blanket kit. Choose from four colorways: Macaron, Heron, Neptune and Slipper (shown above). Each kit includes...

You'll also need...

4 1/2 stitches = 1 inch in garter stitch

Size

Approximately 31 inches x 39 inches

Note

To get a nice, neat edge just slip the first stitch of every row knitwise with the yarn in back. (When you change colors, knit the first stitch.)

With the first color, cast on 138 stitches.

Knit every row until you have used the entire skein (or until there are 23- 25 garter stitch "ridges" [1 ridge = 2 rows]).

Switch to the second color and knit every row, using up the entire skein.

Repeat with each color, making sure to always switch colors on the same side.

After knitting all but a couple of yards of the seventh color, loosely bind off.

Weave in the ends and you're done. Super easy!

50 Responses to Super Easy Blankets!

1. Greg says:

Right up my simplequietmodern aesthetic. Clearly, still the best.

2. Oh, what lovelies!!!

agnes

3. Vanessa says:

So pretty! I assume it's machine washable (since it's for a baby)?

Hi Vanessa-

They are not machine washable but they are hand washable.

Thanks for your question!

5. Aimee says:

Love it, but would love directions for a larger version? Any suggestions? Or suggestions for a book or site that would help me learn to calculate size changes?

Hi Aimee-

We do have a larger version of this here:

Other than that you can do your own size modifications by using the gauge measurement listed in the pattern. Just multiply the stitches per inch by the width you'd like and go from there.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

7. Eunice says:

Any suggestions on hand washing to make sure the colors don't bleed together? Just made one of these blankets but afraid to wash it since I don't want the colors to bleed. Someone suggested vinegar with water? Help….

Hi Eunice-

We have not had any complaints about our yarn's colors running so you should be fine to hand wash it using a gentle cleanser.

9. Jane says:

Just finished lap size version with Maxima based on Whitney's earlier post. Love it!!

Have you ever thought about a crochet version? Wonder what stitch would be best for squishy drape? Many thanks.

10. shelly says:

Hi. Been working at this blanket for a while now and I'm left wondering-
    How do I change colors if I'm slipping off the first stitch?
    In other words, how do I start a new color when I'm not knitting the first stitch of every row?
    Thanks.
    shelly.

11. Lori says:

Hi, I am working on the Super Easy Lap Blanket and have just gotten to my last color, mahogany. I realized that I skipped Stratus in the color sequencing. My colors went from Chocolate, Pewter to Natural instead of following the Pewter with the Stratus. If I follow the Shocking with the Stratus it doesn't look right. My question: is there any way I can separate the kitted section between Pewter and Natural and knit in the Stratus? I am new to this. If there isn't a way to do this what do you suggest? I am so sad I did that!!!!! Phooey.

Hi Jane,

I think just simple single crochet stitches would look the most similar, but I'd be sure to crochet at a loose enough tension to allow the fabric to have a "squishy drape," as you so perfectly say!

Thanks so much for asking!
    Whitney

HI Shelly,

Great question! When you're switching colors, you should knit the first stitch of that row instead of slipping it.

Thanks for asking and please let us know if you have any other questions!

Whitney

HI Lori,

Bummer! There is a way to insert the Stratus where you want it, but it's pretty complicated for a beginner, if that is what you are. I'll try to explain, in case you're up for a challenge!

First, you weave your needle into the last row of Pewter stitches, bringing the needle under the right leg of every stitch and over the left leg. Then weave a needle through about the third or fourth row of Natural. Then you cut the blanket between the needles. Unravel the rows left above the needles and you should be left with live Pewter stitches on one needle and live Natural stitches on the other needle.

Next, knit the Stratus stripe from the Pewter stitches. Re-knit the Natural rows that were lost in the cutting (you probably will need to buy another skein of Natural for that). And finally, graft the last row of Stratus together with the first row of Natural using the Kitchener Stitch for garter stitch. The end of this pattern shows you how: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2011/4/10/whits-knits-striped-cotton-cowl.html

Let us know how it goes if you decide to it!

Whitney

15. Ann says:

So I started this on size 6 circulars because it's what I have on hand and thought I'd just knit loosely. Now I'm coming up short on yarn as I near the end of the first color block. I think I'll be able to get 22 purl bumps, but not 25! Is this because I went down a needle size? I would have thought with the same# of stitches! that I'd actually be left with more. Now I'm concerned that cumulatively, it will come out with odd dimensions if each block is 7-8 rows short. Did I get one bu. skein of yarn in my kit?

Hi Ann-

Are you getting the same gauge as the pattern? Which color/ kind of yarn are you using?

17. Ann says:

Hi Molly,
    I'm getting 4 garter stitches to the inch on the size 6s. I'm using the Purl Worsted twist from one of the kits. It's the Slipper set and the Slipper pink yarn that's coming up short. Unless my knitting logic is off…wouldn't a 4 stitches/ inch gauge mean I'd have more leftover after 50 rows, not less? Thanks!

18. Patricia says:

Hello,

I only know the basics of knitting, is this project to complicated for a beginner? Is it possible to make this blanket bigger (twice this size) with the same kind on needler suggested?

Thanks!!!

Hi Patricia-

This is a perfect project for a beginner and can easily be sized up. With that said if you make it larger it will involve A LOT of knitting. But if you're not pressed for time here is how you would make it double the size:

Buy 4 X the yarn in each color. So instead of 1 skein of each color, buy 4.

Double the number of stitches to cast on.

Knit double the amount of ridges. So instead of knitting 25 ridges you will knit 50.

Use a longer circular needle. Make sure it's at least 40-inches long.

Thank you for your question and please let us know if you have any more!

20. Andrea says:

I'm wondering about the gauge for this blanket. I have already dropped down to a six, am knitting as tightly as possible and I'm still only getting four stitches per inch. Argh! I can drop to a 5 but it seems strange to be on a 5 when it's written for a 7. Hmmmmm. Any thoughts?

Hi Andrea-

Needle size is always just a recommendation. You should always use whatever size you need to get the correct gauge for the pattern. I am also a loose knitter and I have often had to go down two needle sizes!

Good luck with the project!

22. I've been in love with your easy baby blanket for a long time and finally knitted my own version
    Thank you so much for all the inspiration! Lena

23. Charlotte says:

I'd love to knit the lap sized blanket but I am a beginner. I think both that and the cot blanket are knitted in one piece? Does this make them very heavy on the needles/arms? Is it a bit unwieldy to knit?

Hi Charlotte-

Yes, all of these blankets are made in one piece. It makes them very easy to knit, especially for a beginner. They do get heavy to carry around by the end but the work rests on your lap so it isn't a strain on your arms. Since they are knit on circular needles the weight is distributed a lot better than if you were to knit something like this on straight needles.

Thanks for your questions!

25. meg says:

i am a beginner knitter and have admired this blanket for a long time. this may be a silly question, but do you have to use circular needles or can you do the same thing with straight needles?

thanks!

Hi Meg-

You would need very long straight needles to knit this on a straight needles and it would get very unwieldy. The cable that connects the circular needle holds the stitches in a much more convenient way so we really recommend the circular needle!

Thank you for your question!

27. Jeanise says:

Hello,

I love this blanket pattern and am looking forward to making it soon, just wondering if you have any tips or directions for adding new skeins of yarn/changing colors and having the joint be durable? I have made blankets in the past but am always concerned about things coming undone, especially projects that are intended for children or babies.

Jeanise

Hi Jeanise-

We always recommend that you join a new ball of yarn simply by beginning to knit with it and leaving a fairly long tail at the beginning of the new ball and at the end of the old ball and then weaving in the ends. Tying the two yarns together can look very messy and the knot can end up getting very worn. Here is a link to our "weaving in your ends" tutorial to help you weave in the tails.

29. Florence says:

Simply gorgeous blanket!!
    I am wanting to make this blanket, but use the Supereash 128 yarn simply because its a little cheaper and machine washable. Would this yarn work ok? Should I just use the needles that are recommended for that yarn instead, or will the stitches be hard to see? Thank you so much!!

Hi Florence-

Yes, that yarn would work great. And yes, it will be best to use the needles that the yarn recommends rather than what the pattern recommends. You may need to cast on more or less stitches though. To figure that out do a gauge swatch to determine how many stitches you're getting per inch and then multiply that number by the finished width you'd like your blanket to be.

Thank you for writing in!

31. Fran says:

I would like to make this blanket in a preemie size. I am not good at determining the stitches, any help would be great. I want to make it 20×20 or a little larger. Thanks for the pattern I love it.

Hi Fran-

If you are planning on using the Worsted Twist yarn I would recommend casting on 90 stitches for a 20-inch blanket. If you are using a different yarn you will need to do a gauge swatch to determine how many stitches you are getting per inch. Once you figure out that number you just multiply it by 20 and that will give you the cast on number.

33. Alice says:

Hi ! What is the most invisible way to weave in the ends of this blanket. I tried to follow your tutorial for weaving the ends for the garter stich but maybe I didn't understand it. I got a weird bump that didn't look good on the other side, which was the right side. Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Hi Alice,

Our Weaving in the Ends Tutorial shows three way to weave into garter stitch. Maybe you'd prefer the look of one of the other two? Also, it may be helpful to know that there is no absolutely invisible way to weave in ends, and what is visible has be considered one of the charms of hand knitting!

Please let us know if you have any other questions and thank you for this one!

Whitney

35. Courtney says:

What do you mean slip the first stitch knitwise of each row? Sorry, knitting terminology baffles me!

Hi Courtney-

To slip a stitch knitwise simply put your right hand needle into the first stitch on your left needle just as you would if you were going to knit, but then instead of knitting that stitch just slip it off of the left needle, You are basically moving it from the left needle to the right needle without knitting it.

Hope that helps!

37. Becki says:

Hi,

I have just switched to my second color and I am getting a dotted line; how do I get a smoother transition?

Thanks,
    Becki

Hi Becki-

When doing stripes in garter stitch (knitting all rows) there will always be a dotted line as you describe on one side of the work. Just make sure that you always change colors on the same side of the work to make sure the lines are always on the wrong side of the work.

Thank you for getting in touch!

39. Carlynn says:

I love this blanket but I am struggling to knit it now that I'm on the 2nd colour. I knit in the Englush style holding the needles underneath and it becomes almost impossible once I have 60 rows. I'm trying to learn the European technique but I wondered if there is something I don't understand about knitting long pieces of knitting. Could you help?

Hi Carlynn-

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm not totally clear about what your problem is, Knitting Continental vs English style should not effect the difficulty of this pattern. Is it too heavy? Or are you having trouble fitting all the stitches on your needles? We highly highly recommend using a 32-inch circular needle for this project especially if you are having trouble fitting all of the stitches on straight needles. You do not knit any differently with the circular needles. They are connected with a wire but you treat them as two separate needles, the wire just holds the width of the stitches.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I'm not understanding your question correctly.

41. Kate says:

Hello! I have been working on this blanket and have come to the first color switch. I am a beginner knitter, and am having a hard time figuring out how both sides of the blanket will look the same at the color switch, that is, so it will look even and not overlap. Thank you!

Hi Kate-

Both sides will not look the same. There will be a right side (which will have a smooth color change) and a wrong side (which will have a bump of the previous color below the new color.) Just make sure to always switch colors on the same side of the blanket and the blanket will look great!

Thanks for your question!

43. Michelle says:

I would love to make this blanket for my soon-to-be grandchild who will be living in Florida. Do you have any yarn suggestions for such a warm climate that will keep the drape and the beauty?

Thanks,
    Michelle

44. Eva says:

Dear Purl Bee, Hi!!
    I’ve suddenly come across a slight problem! I’ve ordered a few kits from you and I seem to have ordered the wrong needle size… I have either a US 11/32” or a US7 /24” needle…. is the number 11 needle to big? If I use my US 7 will the length of the needle be a problem?
    Sorry, I’m a bit of a beginner….
    Thank you so much for your insight.
    Eva

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Eva-

You should use the US7/ 24″ inch needle. The only problem might be that the stitches are a bit crowded on the cable, but it will probably be fine. The 11 is definitely too big for the Worsted Twist version of this blanket.

Thanks for getting in touch and please let us know if you have any more questions!

45. Kaycee says:

Hi there, how did you cast on and cast off the blanket? I cast on the blanket and the edging is messy. The casting in the pictures are so clean and straight. Help!

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Kaycee-

We used a long tail cast on! Here is a tutorial if you’d like to check it out: http://www.purlbee.com/2006/09/29/long-tail-cast-on/

Thanks for your question!

• Kaycee says:

Thank you Molly! One other question, I used a different yarn, same weight but acrylic (I’m allergic to wool). My gauge came out to 5 stitches per inch and I used a US7 needle. How would this change the size of the blanket and how many stitches would I need to cast on?

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Kaycee-

To get a blanket with the same dimensions cast on 155 stitches and knit each of your seven colors for 4-inches before switching.