Needlepoint Houses

As a child, I was completely obsessed with the Christmas catalogs that would deluge our house every holiday season. I loved everything in them: the big velvet bows and the sparkling ornaments, the reindeer figurines and the dancing Santas. But mostly, I pined for the little winter villages. I would spend hours poring over the pages of small houses and tiny trees, trying to convince my mom that we just really, really HAD to start our own collection. Every year the answer was the same: No.

Now that I’m grown, I can see where my mother was coming from. A room full of Christmas chotchke does take quite a commitment, but still, I long for an adorable little winter village! So, this year I decided to fulfill my childhood Christmas wish and started a small town of my own.

Unlike the ceramic houses that dazzled me with their sparkling lights and glittering snow, the beauty of these small homes is in their simplicity. Made with hand dyed, 100% merino yarn, they are soft, simple and incredibly inviting.

Construct the whole neighborhood with Purl Soho’s new Needlepoint Houses Kit. Everything you need to make 3 houses (finished dimensions are 2 1/4 by 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches) is included. . . .

• 100% merino, hand dyed yarn (1 full skein of ecru, and 1 mini skein of gray, rust, dark red and bright red)
  • Plastic mesh canvas, 14 count
  • Needlepoint needle, size 22
  • Sewing needle
  • Cotton thread
  • Full-color instructional booklet, including cutting guide

And what I like best about my little trio of homes is that, without all that holiday hoopla, they can stay on display long after the singing Santas and dancing elves have been put away, making me smile all year long! - Corinne

6 Responses to Needlepoint Houses

1. Sallyline says:

They are so cute! I love their simplicity! What a beautiful Christmas decoration!

2. Kelli says:

I have to tell you how these made me smile today. My great-grandmother was an avid needlepointer among crochet, knit, embroidery, sewing, etc. Each year she'd make each of the 6 great-grandchildren something. We all have little barns and silos like these houses made into ornaments to hang on our trees. We all have little houses similar to these and even little crocheted reindeer and horses. This post lightened my heart today to think that other people might now have fond memories of their own little needlepoint houses from their family members too. :)

3. Christine says:

Love, love, love these sweet houses. Can I ask you how long it took you to complete one kit? I have three daughters and I would love to complete a set for each of them, perhaps with different coloured roofs. But I don't want to commit until I know how much time I should put aside for each kit. Thanks for putting this together.

Hi Christine -

I'm so glad you like the houses! Because of the small gauge of the mesh, each set does takes a bit of time to complete. Depending on how much time you have per day to devote to the project, I would set aside about a week or two for each set.

One thing to keep in mind while shopping for additional materials: the white and gray yarn included in the kit are enough to make at least 6 houses. If you are planning on getting the kit and making more than three houses, you may only need to purchase additional mesh and roof colors.

The mini skeins are available here:

And, the plastic mesh will be available online within the week.

Thanks so much for writing in!
    -Corinne

5. Bev says:

These are amazing, I'm sure they will look really nice for a Christmas village display for the holiday season.

6. Lori says:

I love these houses and would dearly love to order this kit. I am very sensitive to chemicals and scents and I was wondering about the dye you use on your yarn. Is this an organic dye? Kind regards.