Winter Baby Bonnet

Nothing seems more quintessentially baby to me than a baby bonnet!  And no fabric seems better suited for one than Liberty of London’s gorgeous Tana Lawn. It’s just the right  material for this classic garment: soft to the touch and in patterns sweet enough to rival even the cutest little baby face.

But when you have a baby born in the height of winter, with snow falling and winds howling, however cute and charming it is, a delicate hat of just lightweight Lawn won’t do. And so, for the winter baby, I made a Winter Baby Bonnet.

Michael Miller’s sumptuous Organic Sherpa adds an extra cozy layer and an extended tie doubles as a mini scarf. Decorative and functional, this Winter Baby Bonnet perfectly frames the baby’s face while keeping her sensitive head protected from the elements.

To sweeten the deal, the whole thing is a cinch to make, made even easier with our Materials for Winter Baby Bonnet kit, available here in sizes 0-24 months. It’s a good thing, too. With so many beautiful Liberty prints to choose from, I know I’ll be making one for every winter baby I know! - Corinne

Our Materials for Winter Baby Bonnet kit includes…

• Outer Hat: A fat quarter of Liberty of London’s Tana Lawn for all sizes
  • Lining: A fat quarter of Michael Miller’s Organic Sherpa, 100% organic cotton for sizes 0-3 months and 3-6 months, and 1/2 yard for sizes 6-12 months, 12-18 months and 18-24 months
  • 100% Cotton Thread

These are enough materials to make one hat in the designated size.

Choose from six colorways, shown clockwise from top left: Hot Pink Wiltshire, Pink Thorpe, Light Blue Betsy, Navy Wiltshire, Blue Pepper, or Sage Thorpe.

Additional materials needed…

• A Winter Baby Bonnet template, available for free download here, printed and cut out in the appropriate size.
  • A walking foot for your sewing machine.

Sizes

Sizes are shown for 0-3 (3-6, 6-12, 12-18, 18-24) months.

Notes

Prewash all fabrics before starting. This is particularly important with the Organic Sherpa, which shrinks quite a bit with its first wash and dry.
Use ¼-inch seam allowances unless otherwise noted.
The right side of the Organic Sherpa is the fuzzy side.

Cut

You will use the prepared template to pin and cut 2 Hat Sides from the Liberty of London and 2 Hat Sides from the Organic Sherpa, but first be sure to line up the grain line properly. Here's how...

The Liberty of London has two grain lines, one that runs parallel to the selvedge and one that runs perpendicular to the selvedge. Line up either one with the template.

The Organic Sherpa only has one grain line, and it runs parallel to the selvedge and along the line of the knit. Line it up with the template, as shown above.

Also, to be sure that you cut the two Hat Sides from each fabric with the proper orientation, cut one Hat Side with the right side of the fabric facing up and one with the wrong side of the fabric facing up. The two Hat Sides from the same fabric should be mirror images of each other.

Cut one 3 ½ by 11 ½ (3 1/2 by 12 1/2, 3 3/4 by 13 1/2, 3 3/4 by 14 1/2, 4 by 15 1/2)-inch Rectangle from both the Liberty of London and the Organic Sherpa. The grain line of the Sherpa should run along the long edge of the Rectangle.

Piece

Working with the Liberty of London pieces and with right sides facing, pin one long edge of the Rectangle to the long outside curve of one of the Hat Sides. It can be tricky to keep curved seams wrinkle-free. Use a lot of pins to ensure that the seam will come out un-puckered and smooth. Sew around the pinned curve.

Cut notches in the seam allowance along the curve. Trim the seam allowance to 1/8-inch.

Repeat with the second side. This is the Outer Hat.

Now, working with the Organic Sherpa and with right sides facing, pin one long edge of the Rectangle to the long outside curve of the Hat Side. The knit fabric is much more flexible around the curve than the Liberty of London, so you shouldn’t need as many pins to keep the seam flat.

To sew, change the foot of your sewing machine to the walking foot and stitch along the pinned curve.

Cut notches in the seam allowance along the curve. Finger press the seam open.

Repeat with the second side. This is the Lining.

Attach the Outer Hat and Lining

With right sides together, slide the Lining inside the Outer Hat. Pin the pieces together along all edges.

With the walking foot still attached to the machine, sew around the pinned edge, leaving the short end of the Rectangle at the nape of the neck open. Backstitch at the beginning and end of the seam.

Trim the seam allowance along the sewn edge, leaving the unsewn area untrimmed.

Pull the hat right side out through the unsewn gap. You may need to use a tool, such as a chopstick or the eraser-end of a pencil, to push the hanging ties through.

Press the edge flat.

Finish

Thread a length of cotton thread onto a needle and use a ladder stitch to close the gap at the nape of the neck. Here’s how: Fold the edges under so that they align with the adjacent seams. Pull the needle from the wrong side to the right side of the hem’s fold so that the thread’s knot is inside the hat.

Insert the needle into the opposite fold, directly across from the exit point, picking up about ¼-inch of fabric.

Go back and forth like this, sewing through the folds, until you reach the end of the opening. Tie a knot at the end.

Pull the thread through the hat and snip it at the exit point to hide the end.

You’re all done!

35 Responses to Winter Baby Bonnet

1. Debbie Feely says:

Oh, I LOVE this! Thanks so much. This is perfectly me.

2. peanut says:

What size of baby head will this hat fit? I'd love to make one for my daughter; it's so sweet and warm looking.

3. Mallory says:

Is this for newborns only? What ages will it fit? I'd love to make one for my 12month old niece.

4. b says:

Merci pour ce joli patron de bguin que je vais surement faire mon dernier bb de 3 mois… bonne continuation et merci pour votre blog…

j'espre que vous savez lire le franais !

5. maggie says:

OMG this is so adorable!
    My niece is 9 months old – would this fit her?

6. Ulrika says:

This is so cute! Will it fit only newborns? I'd love to make one for my 7 month old son.

7. jaime says:

What is the approximate fit for this bonnet (up to how many months)?

thanks!

8. Grannyannie says:

How about an adult version? Really. It's cute and looks fairly warm.

9. Linda L. says:

The babies up here in the North thank you! Cute and practical!!

10. Libby says:

Loverly! Corinne, can you also tell us about the yummy (wrap?) sweater this little sweet pea is wearing?

11. Simone says:

What an amazingly cute baby! And such a pretty sweater as well (the next Purlbee project? ;-D) What head size will this cover? Kind regards; Simone

12. Maricarmen says:

Muy lindo, gracias por el patrn
    Saludos Maricarmen

13. Hannapat says:

I think this is so so darling as is the little model! Gorgeous! xoxo

14. MaryEllen says:

We need sizes for this pattern please!

Hello all asking about sizing –

Thank you for writing in! The hat is sized for a newborn, 0-3 months. Sorry this information wasn't in the original post. I've just added it in now.

It's great to hear of your interest in larger sizes. We think this is a great idea and hope to have the pattern sized up to two years in the next couple of months. Please check back in!

Corinne

16. sarah vine says:

So gorgeous! Already printed and ready to cut and sew, instead of cleaning the house this morning….x

17. Jules says:

OMG this is the cutest baby ever!!! I just adore this picture. Have downloaded pattern and am practicing making the hat right now thank you! – Jules

18. Sharon says:

I too would love to know how to make the wrap this little doll is wearing

19. Adorable Adorable Adorable

Hello all asking about the knit sweater –

It's the Crossover Top from Debbie Bliss Essential Baby – one of my favorite baby pattern books. I knit it here in Blue Sky Sport Weight Alpaca in Natural Medium Gray.

You can get the yarn here:

Thanks so much for writing in!
    -Corinne

21. Vink says:

Do I still have to cut seam allowance extra, or is it included in the pattern?
    It is soooo gorgious, I want to make it right now!

Hi Vink-

The allowance is included in the pattern.

Thanks for your question!

23. Debbie Feely says:

As I said, I really love this bonnet! Featured it on my blog today. Let me know if that is not OK. Thanks. I enjoy your sweet sewing projects. http://www.debbiefeely.com/?p=4910

24. I'm sorry but this is just the cutest baby picture ever.

25. brooke says:

Ack! I have banned myself from knitting any more hats for my baby due in February but nobody said anything about sewing. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing this pattern!

26. Anne Riggs says:

Hello Corinne,
    I love this hat and would like to make them on a small scale to sell, less than 25, at a local boutique in Portland, Maine. Is this possible? It there a small scale permit I can purchase to do this?
    Many thanks,

Anne

27. Katy W says:

I made this a little larger for my 2 month old because I want her to be able to wear it next year too!
    I absolutely LOVE it. I used subbed another very soft material for the inside and it turned out amazing! Thank you for sharing your creativity!

Hi Anne Riggs-

Thanks for getting in touch about this. Our patterns are all for home use only and thus cannot be made into products for sale, but thanks for asking!

Best-

29. Mimi says:

Looking forward to the larger template sizes. Thank you.

30. Alex says:

Hello! Also looking forward to the larger pattern size! So so cute!

31. i LOVE this cap! blogged about it here:
    made one larger & fits 6 mos.+
    thank yoube well!

32. Joanna says:

The bonnet is very cute and useful, no doubt,
    but the baby!!!…
    it is THE MOST PRECIOUS THING
    one hope to see!!!
    few pounds of ultimate joy with a face of an angel!!!
    Lucky you!!!
    Best Regards to You and Your Family!!
    Joanna

33. Su Chipps says:

I made this bonnet for my uncle's baby! It turned out great! thanks for the extra sizes. I made one for the 3-6 months (will keep her warm thru the rainy season) and one for the 6-12 months size (will keep her warm during the winter).

I'm a beginner at it was fairly easy to make, I think it turned out great!
    Thank you so much for these beautiful patters and designs. I love this site!

34. Christina says:

Love your instructional DIY
    Found you in Martha Stewart Living. Love the article. Christina Fratcher/owner. The DragonFly Quilt. shop Vero beach Florida

35. Emma-saru says:

Thank you so much for this pattern. Made one yesterday in 0-3Mo for my little to come injune and was Soooooo pleased by the result that I did a second one today, in a lovely wool for the winter (3-6 Mo). Turns out so great !