Sweetheart Charms

Page and her daughter Coco have a really sweet thing: They each carry around a little stuffed fabric heart so that when either Page or Coco is missing the other, she can hold the heart and feel closer together. When I heard about this, I knew I needed to make a little heart for my own daughter, although at this point in her cognitive development, she might be more likely to plop it in her applesauce than to look at it and think fondly of me!

So, even though Lupe might be a bit young, this Valentine’s Day I’m starting our own ritual with these Sweetheart Charms. I added a simple pocket to each soft wool heart so you can stow a tiny note or a small piece of candy, and I also topped each charm with a sturdy loop so your keepsake can hang from a backpack, belt loop, or buttonhole!

This project is quick enough to make for a big group but also special enough to sew for your very favorite Valentine. And since these Sweetheart Charms are so easy, I’m going to make a few of them for Lupe and me. That way some of them can take a dip in the applesauce!

Happy Valentine’s Day! --Molly

These are enough materials to make dozens of Sweetheart Charms in both sizes. The small Charms are 1 3/4 inches across, and the large Charms are 2 1/2 inches across.

Cutting

Using the Template cut out two small or large Heart pieces and one small or large Pocket piece from one color of Wool Felt.

Cut a 7-inch length of the Knotting Cord. Fold the cord in half and tie the ends together in a simple overhand knot to create a loop.

Sewing

Place one Heart piece on top of the other and then place the Pocket piece on top of them both. Pin all three pieces together with a straight pin.

Thread a 24-inch length of the Hand Quilting Thread onto a hand sewing needle and tie a knot at the end.

Starting at the bottom right side of the heart, insert the needle between the two Heart pieces and out a scant 1/8-inch from the edge at the backside (the side without the Pocket). This will hide the knot inside of the heart.

You will sew around the entire perimeter of the heart with a whip stitch. To take the first stitch insert the needle into the front of the heart 1/8-inch to the left of the last exit point and push the needle through all of the felt layers. Pull the needle through to the back.

Take the next stitch in the same way, entering from the front 1/8-inch from the previous exit point and then pulling through to the back. The whip stitch will wrap around the edge, as shown above.

Whip stitch around the perimeter until you reach the divot at the top of the heart.

Insert the knotted end of the cord loop between the two felt layers at the divot’s point. Push the knot down until you can no longer see it. Take two whip stitches at the bottom of the divot between the two cords. Be careful not to catch either the cords or the knot.

Continue whip stitching around the perimeter until you’re midway through the second hump of the heart.

Stuff the heart firmly with the cotton stuffing. Whip stitch until you’ve made it all the way around the entire perimeter, closing the gap and enclosing all of the stuffing.

Tie a small knot in the thread at the last exit point. Insert the needle right next to the knot, and push the needle through the stuffing, exiting anywhere. Cut the thread at the exit point to hide the thread’s end.

Write a tiny note, slip it in the pocket and your Sweetheart Charm is ready to give to your Valentine!

36 Responses to Sweetheart Charms

1. Susan Burnett says:

Very sweet. I will make these for my granddaughters. Thank you.

2. Sasha says:

SO CUTE … and yet with the pocket and the cord functional too and apparently easy to do also …

3. Joanne says:

Where do we access templates? Thank you!

4. jean says:

Love this–thank you so much for sharing such wonderful projects!
    I could not find the pattern…..not a big deal truly, a heart is a heart, just an fyi.
    Stay warm….

5. santaananana says:

this project is adorable. I'm going to purchase the fuchsia bundle. Can you recommend a few colors for the thread and cords for that? And, where on your site can I download the template? Thanks

6. Hester says:

What a lovely idea! I think I'll pop one through my crush's letterbox this Valentine. The heart pattern seems to be missing, by the way, but I suppose drawing a heart yourself isn't too difficult when compared to hand sewing.
    Many thanks!
    Hester

7. These are lovely! My daughter makes similar owls. They sure are wonderful for Valentines! :)

8. Jenn Hoff says:

This is so darling! I absolutely love it! What a sweet idea.

9. Kristine says:

oops – template link is not 'live'.

10. Linda says:

Hi, the little pocket hearts are cute but I can't find a link for the templates.

11. denisejh says:

Hey guys-There's no live link to the template for the sweetheart charms. Can you put one up? Thanks!

12. Rebecca says:

how cute! these would make lovely valentines

13. ali says:

lovely idea! thanks

14. Emilie says:

I love the Sweetheart Charms project, but don't see where I can download the templates. Did I miss something?

15. Susan Burnett says:

Very sweet. I will make these for my granddaughters. Thank you.

16. Gloria says:

I am very much looking forward to making these adorable sweetheart charms for my grandchildren this Valentine's Day. However, I cannot find the link on which to click for the heart template. Can you help me with this?

17. Liss says:

Sweet idea & easy enough to do. Just so you know, NO LINK IS INCLUDED for the template.

Thanks for another great idea!

18. Joanne says:

Where do we find the templates for this project?

19. Strix says:

Hi, very cute. Where can I get the template?

20. Marcia Enyart says:

I really like this project. I can't find the template!

21. Sue says:

Thank you for this lovely project – I may just be a little bit dim but I don't seem to be able to find the template for the hearts. Unless it is the pre cut pink hearts but they only seem to be in one size not the two that you mention.
    Many thanks
    Sue

22. Asmita says:

The template link is missing. What a sweet way to carry a message all year long.

Hello everyone asking about the template-

The link to the template should be working now. Thank you all so much for writing in and letting us know that it wasn't!

Good luck with the project!

Hi Santaananana-

Sure! For the Fuchsia bundle I would use hand quilting thread in the following colors:

5709 (white) 9255 (bright pink) 3526 (lavender) and 3832 (dark purple).

I would get "Grape" and " Fluorescent Pink" in the cording.

Thanks so much for your fun question!

25. Marisa says:

Such a sweet idea. I think I'll make larger hearts to hang on our doorknobs for little love notes.

26. Carol H says:

When my granddaughter was three I started sewing a heart on everything I made her for the same reasons you made your hearts. I sew them all different – big, small, all different places, sometimes you can see them and sometimes you can't. Sometimes I put a stuffed one in a pocket attached by a ribbon so she can reach it and hold on to it. She is now seven and that is the first thing she does when I make her something – find the heart!

27. Josie says:

Sweet. I love these and your story too.

28. Amanda says:

Hi,
    I'd love to get the Dahlia bundle. Which cording and thread do you recommend for that color palette?
    Amanda

29. Debby says:

Super cute – I could make a few of these!

30. And with a pocket….sweet

31. Cayt says:

SO cute! Totally doing this for Valentine's Day. What a great "secret admirer" treat to get in the mail. And you could embroider an initial on one side of the heart!

32. linda Marchand says:

They are so cute!!! I'm going to make them!!! Linda (from Belgium)

33. Elizabeth says:

What a wonderful project. This would be a great one to teach my little guys how to sew. Someday they just may have to sew on a lost button or something!!
    Peace & Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

34. Laura Chutny says:

I made some of these with my daughter for her 4th grade class. Turned out lovely – but getting the cord in Canada was a little tricky, I had to order it online. Thanks for the great ideas! I can share a picture if you want.

Hi Laura-

We'd love to see a picture! Our Facebook page is a great place to share photos:

Thanks for the kind words about the project and happy Valentine's Day!

36. Vanessa says:

Oh wow this is super adorable! The little pocket is just perfect for sweet little notes :)