The Boyfriend Hat
In Levis, flannel button downs, canvas sneakers, and grandpa cardigans, a friend of mine and I used to laugh that rather than dressing for the boys we wished we were dating, we dressed like the boys we wished we were dating. And the funniest part was that despite our different taste in men, somehow our fantasies of their wardrobes were identical. Some things are for the everyman and, as it turns out, for the everywoman too.
I designed the Boyfriend Hat with the versatility of any timeless article of clothing. Man or woman, wear it slouchy or cuffed. Pull it down taut or let it hover above the ears. Cuff it twice for a Wes Anderson style watchman cap.
Knit up with two different colored strands of Purl Soho’s Line Weight merino, the effect is gently marled and toasty warm. In a tight 1 x 1 rib, this hat is also exceptionally elastic and durable, hugging the head and feeling decadently soft, even through winter’s wear and tear.
The Boyfriend Hat is the hat you wish he had so you could steal it from him. Or is it the hat you have that he wants to steal from you? I don’t know… Just make two. -Laura
- Yarn A: 1 skein of Purl Soho's Line Weight, 100% merino. I used the color Heirloom White.
- Yarn B: 1 skein of Purl Soho's Line Weight, 100% merino. I used the color Toasted Charcoal for the Women's Small and Oyster Gray for the Women's Medium/Men's Small.
- A US #3, 16-inch circular needle
- A set of US #3 double pointed needles
- 4 stitch markers, 1 of which is a different color or type to indicate beginning of round
- 9 3/4 stitches and 8 1/2 rows = 1 inch in 1 x 1 rib, unstretched
- Finished Circumference: 14 3/4 (16 1/2, 18, 19 3/4) inches, un-stretched, comfortably stretching to approximately 19 3/4 (21 1/2, 23, 24 3/4) inches
- Finished Height: 9 1/2 (9 3/4, 10, 10 1/4) inches
With one strand of Yarn A and one strand of Yarn B, cast 144 (160, 176, 192) stitches onto the circular needle. Place marker and join for working in the round, being careful not to twist stitches.
Round 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to end of round.
Repeat Round 1 until piece measures 8 inches from cast on edge.
Shape Top of Hat
NOTE: Switch to double pointed needles when necessary.
Set-Up Round: [Work 36 (40, 44, 48) stitches in established 1 x 1 rib pattern, place marker] three times, work in established pattern to end of round.
Round 2: *[K1, p1] four times, k1, p2tog, work in established pattern to 2 stitches before next marker, p2tog tbl, repeat from * to end of round. [8 stitches decreased]
Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 five (six, seven, eight) more times. [48 stitches]
Next Round: *Ssk, [k1, p1] two times, k1, k2tog, p1, k1, p1, repeat from * to end of round. [40 stitches]
Next Round: *Ssk, p1, k1, p1, k2tog, p1, k1, p1, repeat from * to end of round. [32 stitches]
Next Round: *Ssk, k1, k2tog, p1, k1, p1, repeat from * to end of round. [24 stitches]
Cut yarns and thread them onto a tapestry needle. Draw the needle through the remaining stitches. Pull tight and bring tails to inside of hat to weave in.
Weave in remaining tails and block as desired.