Purl Soho Kid’s Robe

In my family, we refer to age 5 as my “year of the sweat suit.” A friend of mine had a similar phase with long johns. And my neighbor rues the day she ever introduced her daughter to leggings, which was also the last day her daughter ever wore actual pants.

For the under-10 set coziness is key, but it’s rare that a kid’s idea of comfort overlaps with a parent’s sense of style. And so, I designed the Purl Soho Kid’s Robe to cover both bases. For the child, a cozy fleece or Sherpa lining, and for the adult, clean lines and a classic cut, everyone’s happy… and toasty… and cute!

The Purl Soho Kid’s Robe Pattern includes sizes from 1- 9 years in two styles: Version A, with a snap closure, and Version B, with a belt. For the lining we recommend a super soft knit fabric, such as Michael Miller’s Organic Sherpa or Cotton Fleece and for the outer fabric, a beautiful woven cotton. I made my robes with Sherpa and Liberty of London’s Tana Lawn, a combo that’s a treat both inside and out!

My own daughter has three criteria when getting dressed in the morning: comfort, comfort and anything with a dinosaur on it. Although I haven’t yet delivered a Jurassic print, this robe has become a serious hit. “I need my robe,” is the first thing I hear from her room in the morning, and I have it waiting for her as soon as she steps out of the tub at night. If 20 years from now this becomes known as her year of the Robe, you won’t hear me complain! - Corinne

To make a Robe for size 1(2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9), measuring 22 (23, 24, 25, 26) inches around the chest, you will need. . . .

• 1 ¼ (1 ½, 1 ½, 1 ¾, 2) yards of a 44-inch woven cotton OR 1 ¼ (1 ¼, 1 ¼, 1 ½ 2) yards of a 54-inch woven cotton. I used Liberty of London’s Tana Lawn in Phoebe Lime, Kayoko Pink and Blue Samols.
  • 1 ¼ (1 ½, 1 ¾, 2, 2 ½) yards of a 44-inch knit. I used Michael Miller's Organic Sherpa.
  • 100% cotton thread in a coordinating color
  • A walking foot for your sewing machine.
  • For Version A, with snaps, you will also need two size 4 snaps.
  • A Purl Soho Kid's Robe Pattern.

13 Responses to Purl Soho Kid’s Robe

1. Brienne says:

Great project! I am loving that you all are putting more simply made kids garments out there – thanks! I'm finishing up the earflap hat now and I think that this robe will have to go to the top of my sewing list.

2. JP says:

I love it. Please can we have an adult one for my teenager.

3. Lisa says:

Wouldn't it be a nice surprise say for Mother's day if there was a Mama size robe pattern!
    Just a thought…

4. Lara says:

This is so cute! I want to make one right now.
    I agree with JP – if there were an adult size, I would snap that up in a second, too.

5. Michelle says:

I'm with the other ladies; an adult version would be great!

6. oxforduli says:

This looks like a fantastic project. Would you be able to give some guidance as to the difficulty of the sewing involved?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Oxforduli -

This is a great question!

All of the sewing in this project is pretty straight forward and the pattern booklet is very thorough. There are a few challenging bits (for example, attaching the hood at the curve of the neck can get a bit tricky), but nothing that a little bit of patience can't solve!

I hope this helps!
    -Corinne

8. oxforduli says:

Thank you, Corinne, now I am seriously tempted :-)

9. Robyn says:

Please please please will you make an adult pattern? I would instantly make the fabulous blue robe!!!!

10. Soupciloo says:

Lovely! Adult pattern, please!

11. Janet says:

I'd love this in adult size — i want one for me too!

12. Jas says:

Hi I've bought this pattern and can't wait to get started,
    Do the measurements and hood pattern pieces include the 1/4 inch seam allowance? Or do I add this onto the measurement before I cut the fabric

Cheers
    Jas

Hello Jas –

This is a great question! The seam allowances are all included in the measurements and pattern pieces.

Happy sewing!