Purl Soho’s Little Lamb Finger Puppets

I can’t tell you how excited I am for spring to come. This winter’s polar vortexes and never ending parade of snow and ice storms have been seriously awful! But with March right around the corner, I’m hoping that the old cliché will prove true: “In like a lion, out like a lamb!”

These Little Lamb Finger Puppets are my invocation to the spirit of spring. Their sweet faces and soft wool coats are so happy and hopeful that with each stitch the winter blues seem to melt away, making room for vernal daydreams. Just imagine how cute they’ll look peeking out of an Easter basket!

This project is truly a snap to sew. A playful palette of pretty wool felt is a joy to work with, and each lamb is stitched entirely by hand. Absolutely everything you need, from the pattern and felt to the needle and stuffing, is available in our Little Lamb Finger Puppets Kit here. (Or if you already have the materials you can get the just pattern!) Let the springtime reverie begin!

16 Responses to Purl Soho’s Little Lamb Finger Puppets

1. Soooooo cute!!!! Lovely….

2. Mopsa says:

This is super-hyper cute!!

3. Bridgette says:

WOOT WOOT!

Every Spring I wait and watch for the baby lambs to appear, now I can make my own!
    Love the black one :)

4. Kati says:

How utterly adorable! I'm going to pin this and make a few of these darlings for spring.

5. knittingkey says:

They are so beautiful

6. Nicole says:

Love this! I enjoyed making the bunny finger puppets for my son last year and will be making these with him as well.

7. Linda L. says:

How complicated are these to put together? They look fairly simple – I just want to be sure I didn't miss something ;-)
    I'm wondering about a learn-to-sew project for an after-school group of 9 – 12 year olds. They have a field trip coming up next month to a farm that has sheep (and possibly lambs) so there is a tie-in. I might switch the nose and eye from sewn to marker for some kids. That looks like it would be the hardest part for little hands.

8. Kathleen says:

ADORABLE…I want to make a whole flock. Thanks.

Hi Linda L-

I think these would make a great project for kids to sew but I do think you're right about simplifying the face. Marker is a good idea or, they would also look cute without an eye or a nose so you might just skip it.

10. Ashton Bynum says:

This is such a sweet project! Thanks for the tutorial!

11. Amy says:

These are very cute! I made the rabbits when they came out – and am very tempted to make these sheep for this spring. But I have a question – is the download of the pattern – without a hard copy pattern – suppose to be the same price as a download and a hard copy? Because they are both the same price ($9). This seems to me to be a mistake – because I have to imagine they should be different – the cost of mailing the pattern and printing it out, etc, can't be zero. Was this an error?

Thanks, and thanks for making such a cute little project.

Hi Amy-

It's not a mistake but the hard copy option of the pattern will have a shipping charge added at checkout.

13. The little lambs are lovely!! xx

14. Lynda says:

O.M.Freaking.G.!!! How adorable can you *get*?!?! I'm going to order my kit tout de suite!!

15. Sandra says:

Cute. But I am surprised the pattern isn't free, like most Purl Bee projecst used to be..
    Is this a new trend for the future–I hope not.

Dear Sandra-

We understand your concern about free vs paid patterns. We will always offer many free patterns on the Purl Bee and we will never charge for our archive of patterns. However, it does take a significant amount of time, manpower, and energy to keep the Bee running smoothly and in order to keep improving our patterns we have started to charge for some of our more involved ones. We hope you understand. We really value and respect our readers and feel that this is the best way to continue offering the quality and volume of patterns that you all deserve.

Thank you for writing in!