Purl Soho Women’s Robe

A few months ago, when I made the Purl Soho Kid’s Robe, the response was unanimous: “One in my size too, please!” We couldn’t have agreed more! So, thanks to your great advice, we introduce… the Purl Soho Women’s Robe!

I knew immediately that I was going to like this project, but once I started, I fell in actual love. I didn’t know my life was missing this robe, but then, I couldn’t believe I had gone so long without one. I began to keep a mental tally of all the people who would be getting a handmade robe from me (first on the list: happy Mother’s Day, mom!).

I designed the Purl Soho Women’s Robe to be roomy but not bulky, classic but not prim, comfy but not sloppy. Although you can make yours in any light or mid-weight cotton, linen or flannel, I love the breezy look and feel of Liberty of London’s gorgeous Tana Lawn. I used the Seasonal print Junos Garden Pastel.

The Purl Soho Women’s Robe Pattern walks you through every step of the process with detailed photographs and tons of helpful tips. It includes sizes from Extra Small to Extra Large, in both above-the-knee and below-the-knee lengths. Pick up a hardcopy or PDF download right here!

Thank you, dear readers, for inspiring me to make this wholly satisfying robe. And keep those suggestions coming! -Corinne

Update: September 2014

womens-robe-flannel-B-600-7

And what about when the chilly winds start to blow? Check out our cold-weather version, the Purl Soho Women's Robe in Cozy Flannel! Click right here to read all about it.

Lightweight Cotton, Medium Weight Cotton, Flannel or Linen Fabric

100% Cotton Thread in a coordinating color

(And don’t forget a Purl Soho Women’s Robe Pattern!)

31 Responses to Purl Soho Women’s Robe

1. Ruth says:

Wouldn't cotton wrinkle really quickly?

2. Hannah says:

I love this! Is there any reason the pattern can't be used for a man as well? I'm thinking my husband would love one… If not, you guys should get on a coordinating men's robe! ;)

3. Annhb says:

This looks wonderful! I love the look of the Liberty fabric! The Nani Iro brushed cottons would be lovely too! Long ago I made my son a lined robe with some Nani Iro and terrycloth. The Cotton Sherpa you carry looks like it would be lovely for this. Does the pattern include directions for adding a lining? Would adding a lining make it too "stiff"? What do you think?

Hi Ruth –

The Liberty of London Tana Lawn is a very fine, silky cotton and it doesn't wrinkle any more than a cotton shirt or dress would.

Thank you for writing in!
    -Corinne

Hi Hannah –

This is a great question! I don't see any reason the pattern couldn't be adapted for a man.

As a general sizing rule, a women's Large is a men's Small, and the Extra Large would be similar to a men's medium. The one change I would recommend is in the Belt measurements. The Belt is sewn onto the body of the Robe with a women's waistline in mind. This may need to be adjusted for a more masculine fit.

I hope this helps!
    -Corinne

Hi Annhb –

Thank you for writing in!

Your son's robe looks great! The Nani Iro brushed cottons would be excellent fabrics for this Robe too.

Here are the prints that we have available right now:

And

The Purl Soho Kid's Robe that inspired this project was lined with the Organic Cotton Sherpa, which is incredibly soft and lush. Unfortunately, it is also very heavy, too heavy to use on a full sized women's robe. So, we opted to leave this robe unlined. That said, it could be lovely lined with a lighter-weight flannel or terry. Instructions to line the robe are not included in the pattern, but if you would like to give it a try, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have about it here!

I hope this helps!
    -Corinne

7. truebias says:

this is really beautiful. i would wear it all of the time.

8. Catherine Keall says:

This looks great. I'm so in love with linen I think I will get some for this project (and also push it to the top of my list of things to do) then I will wash it like mad and wear it for the rest of my life!

9. holly says:

Is this pattern easy enough for a beginner sewer to try?

Hello Holly –

This is a great question!

All of the sewing in this project is pretty straight forward and the pattern booklet is very thorough. There are a few challenging bits (for example, attaching the binding at the curve of the neck can get a bit tricky), but nothing that a little bit of patience can't solve!

And, of course, we are always here to help if you run into problems along the way!

-Corinne

11. Wendy says:

I just ordered my pattern and checked out the PDF. Very interesting construction and I just love the detailed instructions and the pictures. I struggle with traditional patterns and am tossing my botched attempt at another robe. I am hopeful for this attempt and excited to pick out some silky Liberty cotton!!!

12. Allison says:

Looks so nice! Since you asked for further suggestions: I'd love to see the Liberty fabric used to make some pretty elasticized/drawstring women's pajama bottoms.

13. kate says:

HI!

I have a question about the cutting guide. I'm making a medium robe, and the specified measurement for the belt is 6X74" (i.e. 7a, 7b). My fabric is only 44" wide, so I'm wondering why the belt pieces are oriented horizontally on the cutting guide? Am I missing something?

Kate

14. Genevieve says:

What do you think about making this up in silk, any drawbacks?

15. Ann says:

Hi,
    I am interested in making the women's robe, since I have been looking for a good cotton robe for quite some time with no luck. However, I am puzzled… The purchase option of PDF or hard copy makes me concerned about the pattern construction. Is it not a traditional tissue pattern? How could one download a PDF and piece together all the shapes needed? Thanks. Ann

Hello Kate –

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The numbers on the chart are listed incorrectly. The Belt pieces should be cut to half of the length given (i.e. 6 by 35, 6 by 36, etc.) and are then pieced together later in the pattern to create one long strip for the Belt. So, if you are making the size Medium, you should cut them to 6 inches by 37 inches. At this shorter length, they should fit horizontally on your fabric without a problem.

We are in the process of updating the pdf now and the correction is listed on the errata page.

Thank you for writing in!
    -Corinne

Hello Genevieve –

That's a great suggestion! I think that this Robe would look lovely in silk.

Thank you for writing in!
    -Corinne

Hello Ann –

This is a great question! It is not a traditional tissue paper pattern. The Robe is constructed using simple cut rectangles. A Cutting Chart with a full list of dimensions is included as well as a Cutting Guide for proper layout on your fabric.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
    -Corinne

19. Taylor says:

When selecting a size, can I go by the size I would buy for myself in a retail clothing store?

Lovely pattern! I downloaded a copy to make the robe for myself.

20. KMG says:

I'm so excited to make this robe! I'm a beginner sewer so I hope I'll be able to manage the pattern. I chose the Charley Harper cardinal fabric and I can't wait to start. I would really like to line it in terry or fleece. Could you recommend a fleece that would be lightweight enough to use for lining? Would the Michelle Miller Organic Fleece be appropriate? Thanks!

21. Mara says:

Hey there,

Isn't there the possibility to pay via PayPal? It's the only way I could possibly pay since I live in Germany and don't own a credit card.

Thanks in advance, you have a great blog!

Love, Mara

22. jen says:

Hi Mara,

Sorry, at this time we are not set up to take paypal. We hope to add it in the future.

Thanks,

Jen

Hello Taylor –

This is a great question! We use the Craft Yarn Council sizing standards when building our patterns. Here is a rough guide to how the sizes correspond to chest measurements:

XSmall – 28 to 30-inch bust
    Small – 32 to 34-inch bust
    Medium – 36 to 38-inch bust
    Large – 40 to 42-inch bust
    XLarge – 44 – 46-inch bust

I hope this helps!
    -Corinne

Hello KMG –

Lining the Robe with fleece is a lovely idea! The Michael Miller Organic Fleece could be a great option. It is super cozy, but light weight enough that you won't get weighed down in a full size robe. It will add a bit of bulk to the garment though, so I would suggest going up a size from what your measurements call for.

Be sure to wash and dry the Fleece before you start as it can shrink up quite a bit.

I hope this helps! And, please let us know if you have any other questions as you work on the project!
    -Corinne

25. Sally K. says:

What a stunning robe! It looks perfect for warmer weather, and I love the deep pockets.

26. Laura says:

Hi-

I just downloaded the PDF version of this pattern, and I don’t see the actual pattern. Out of the 16 pages I only have the suggested layout for cutting out the pieces and directions. Help please. Thanks. :)

• Corinne from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Laura –

Thanks for writing in! This is a great question. The Robe pattern is not a traditional tissue paper pattern. The Robe is constructed using simple cut rectangles. A Cutting Chart with a full list of dimensions is included in the pattern booklet with the Cutting Guide.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
      -Corinne

27. Jo says:

Hello,

I’d like to make a fleece-lined version for my boyfriend but don’t know quite how to go about it. Do I make the same pattern for the lining and sew all the pieces together with both lining and top fabric?

I’m using a Tana lawn print for the outer fabric and planning Michael Miller fleece for the lining. I know you say in a previous answer to go one size up as it could get bulky but worried it’ll end up being too big for him! Any way I can alter it after or any key measurements to make sure I get the right fit?

Only one more question! How much extra yardage of fleece do I need to get in order to allow for shrinkage when I wash it before starting out?

Any help much appreciated. Many thanks, Jo

• Corinne from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Jo –

These are great questions! It is possible to make the Robe with a fleece lining, but there are a few adjustments that I would suggest:

1: I would make the robe in one size larger than the measurements call for. I understand your concern about the Robe getting too bulky, but it is designed to have a relatively close fit, and I am afraid the added layer of the fleece lining could make it too small. For the best fit, I would recommend making the fleece lining first and have your boyfriend try that on. Any adjustments to the fit can be made relatively easily at that point. Then, you can use whatever changes you make as a guide when sewing the Tana Lawn.

2: In the pattern, the shoulder seams and sleeves are sewn with a french seam. I would not recommend doing this with a bulky fleece. Instead, sew these seams with a 3/4-inch seam allowance and trim the seams as desired.

3. To attach the Lining once both the Outer Robe and the Lining are finished, with the right sides together, sew the Outer Robe to the Lining along the bottom edge. Then, fold the Robe along this bottom edge so that the wrong sides are now facing and press the bottom seam flat. Tuck the Sleeves of the Lining into the Sleeves of the Outer Robe. With wrong sides still facing, use a basting stitch and a 1/2-inch seam allowance to sew the Lining and Outer Robe together along the Front and Sleeve edges. Attach the binding along the Front edge and Sleeves as described in the pattern.

Finally, I recommend buying 1/4 yard extra of the fleece to accommodate for shrinkage.

I hope this is all clear. Of course if you come into any problems along the way, or if it seems I have missed any steps, you are welcome to get in touch for more help!

-Corinne

28. Molly says:

What a disappointment, I remember being able to download this-for free! Fifteen dollars? Yes, these are fantastic patterns on this site, but now ones that I can only admire.

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Molly-

This particular pattern was never available for free but we do have many free knitting sewing and crochet pattens, in fact most of our projects and patterns are free! While we would love it if we could offer everything for free we have started charging for some of the more complicated and involved patterns because of the amount of time and energy they take to produce. We hope you understand!

Thanks for getting in touch!