New! DIY Map Quilt Patterns from Haptic Lab

Is there a city that has your heart? The one you grew up in, the one you got married in, the one you live in? Stitch your way around your favorite city's streets, parks, and rivers with Haptic Lab's amazing DIY Map Quilt Patterns.

Each DIY Map Quilt Pattern comes with a to-scale paper template and sewing instructions. Just pin the template onto your quilt, stitch right into it, and rip off the paper as you complete each section. See in-action photos (and get inspiration!) on Haptic Lab's website right here.

Haptic Lab has mapped out the territory; you supply the fabric (we're using muslin for our NYC quilt!), batting, thread, floss and creativity! Hand sew, machine sew or both; use linen or metallic threads, neon or glow-in-the-dark embroidery flosses; applique prints into special zones (a Liberty of London floral in Hyde Park?); mark meaningful intersections and neighborhoods with embroidery stitches, buttons and trims; make it your own. Forget quilt blocks; think city blocks, and go to town!

For Purl Soho's entire collection of DIY Map Quilt Patterns, click right here. And enjoy your trip!

26 Responses to New! DIY Map Quilt Patterns from Haptic Lab

1. Amy says:

If you continue working on your quilt, will you show us your progress and ideas? I just ordered London! I love this!! Amy

2. Jenny says:

I absolutely love these and I made my own for Boston!

3. emily says:

thanks for including PGH!!!!!!

4. Jessica Rempel says:

I would love one for Squamish bc Canada.., any chance you'll be making that pattern?!

5. Anne says:

Good idea. I'd like to see Rome. Thanks.

6. Pauline Caller says:

As they clearly have the technology is there any chance of ordering a bespoke kit? I live in the UK and would dearly love my home town of Newcastle upon Tyne.

7. Terri says:

I would love to have one of San Francisco.

8. Nancy says:

Please do St Simons Island, GA or Georgia including our little island!!

9. Tomiko says:

Hi,

Will I be able to make this even though I have never made quilt before? I am ok at sewing…

Thanks

10. Brittany says:

Did London sell out already? It's not even an option, so it doesn't look like I can wait for it to be backordered.

Hi Brittany,
    Thanks for your comment, we'll add some of London for preorder today!

12. Jenny says:

Is it possible to get a materials list so I can order at the same time?

13. Diane says:

OAKLAND! Please.

14. sonrie says:

I would love to see one for St. Louis, MO! I love the idea of combing maps and quilting – two of my favorite things.

15. Sue says:

Will you be getting more maps for Pittsburgh? I tried to order three copies, but there was only one available. These are wonderful! Thanks.

Hi Jenny-

Please email customerservice AT purlsoho DOT com and they will be happy to help you with this!

Best-

Hi Tomiko-

Sure, but it won't be a quick project. The thing about this quilt is that it involves a lot of hand sewing or a lot of very careful machine quilting, Hand sewing will be easier but take a long time. The machine quilting takes a lot more experience so I'm not sure I'd recommend doing it for a first project.

The most important thing is that you like what you're making, so if you're drawn to this project I'd say to go ahead and give it a try!

18. Good idea. I'd like to see Paris

19. Sue says:

Which Portland?? Maine or Oregon? (Both great cities!)

20. Jayne says:

Would it be possible to get smaller pattern to embroider for a wall hanging or pillow?

Thanks

Hi Jayne-

We don't carry anything like that but you could contact Haptic Labs directly to ask them. Here is their website:

22. Sara says:

I love this so much! What weight of batting do you suggest using?

Hi Sara-

If you are planning on hand quilting this we would suggest either the Request weight (the lightest cotton weight) or Dream Wool batting for a fluffier look. If you are machine quilting you can use any weight you like- however our favorites are still the Request and the Dream Wool! http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/72-sewing-patchwork-stuffing-batting?filters=1016

24. Gemma says:

Just bought the world map version to stitch for my geographer boyfriend. Off to buy materials shortly. I can't wait to get started!!!

25. Eleanor White says:

Don’t forget your neighbours! A map of Canada and it’s major cities would be great – Toronto would be a good start!