Loopy Bath Mat

If you're a knitter, you've probably outfitted your extremities, plus those of everyone in your immediate family, and you've most likely also supplied a few babies with handknit blankets. All worthy and satisfying endeavors, but have you ever knit a deep, soft, plush landing pad for your wet feet? No? Well, why not?

Admittedly, our Loopy Bath Mat is a bit on the whimsical side with its rambunctious texture and well... its handknit-edness. On the other hand, if a bath or a shower is an exercise in self-care, then this hedonic bath mat is the perfect equipment!

How did this Loopy Bath Mat get so soft and decadent? First, with the invaluable aid of Blue Sky's Worsted Cotton, the coziest cotton we know; and second, with the creation of big loopity loops! The Loop Stitch is one of knitting's most adventurous stitches, involving fingers that normally idle and methods that truly surprise. And with just one pattern row for every five garter stitch rows, it's unexpectedly easy too!

This project is just the thing for some loopy summer fun. Treat yourself! -Whitney

16 3/4 stitches = 4 inches in Loop Stitch (See the Extra Note at the end of the Note section for more specifics concerning the gauge.)

Size

Finished Dimensions: 20 x 28 inches

Note

How to Make the Loop Stitch

Step 1: As you prepare to knit the next stitch, hold the middle finger of your left hand over the working yarn, like this...

Wrap the working yarn around the middle finger as you knit the next stitch.

Do not allow the stitch to fall off the left needle, so that you have a new stitch on the right needle and the old stitch on the left needle.

Step 2: With your middle finger still in place, slip the new stitch from the right needle to the left needle.

There are now two stitches on the left needle and your middle finger is still holding a loop of yarn.

Step 3: Knit those two stitches together through the back loop.

Allow both stitches off the left needle and release your middle finger, giving the loop a tug as you do.

EXTRA NOTE: Before I started each new row of Loop Stitch, I went back to the previous row and pulled up the slack of each loop. This isn't necessary, but it does create a tighter fabric. (The gauge of this pattern is based on having pulled each loop. If you don't pull each loop, you can expect a gauge of 15 1/4 stitches per 4 inches and a finished width of 22 inches. You'll have enough yarn to make the length at least 32 inches.)

Cast on 84 stitches.

Rows 1-4: Knit.

Row 5 (wrong side): K3, make a Loop Stitch out of each stitch to the last 3 stitches, k3. (For Loop Stitch instructions, see the Note above.)

Row 6: K3, knit into the back loop of each stitch to the last 3 stitches, k3.

Repeat Rows 1-6 until piece measures 27 1/2 inches from the cast on edge, ending with Row 6.

Knit one row.

Next Row (right side): Bind off loosely in knit stitch.

Weave in the ends and take a bath!

CARE NOTE: Blue Sky's Worsted Cotton is machine washable, but like all handknits, I'd recommend hand washing your bath mat. Just soak it in warm water with a gentle soap, rinse and squeeze. Lay your mat flat on a dry towel and let it dry!

15 Responses to Loopy Bath Mat

1. Chris says:

Another simple, creative, beautiful piece of art. I love this site! The patterns are simple and the end result is amazing. I've used some of the patterns for hats and elbow pads for a sweater that had some wear and things always turn out great. Thanks for the site.

2. Josefine Barnett says:

I made the loops and found them too large for my liking.
    Do you have a knitting method or making smaller loops?

3. Martha says:

I definately would love to try this!

4. rischma13 says:

That`s lovely! I want to make one. Thank you very much for sharing.

Hi Josefine,

You might want to try wrapping the working yarn around an extra knitting needle that would create the size loops you'd like. You can wrap the yarn around anything, really. The idea is simply to create consistently sized loops.

Thanks so much for asking and let us know how it goes!

Whitney

6. Roberta says:

I have some linen yarn just waiting for a project. I think I may give it a try.
    Thanks for the pattern

7. Lorrie says:

This looks like a fun project! I don't need a bath mat, but I'd love to try it for a whimsical scarf or hat. You've inspired me for sure!

8. Lisa says:

Any tips for us continental knitters? I love this and would love to make a loopy reading mat for my son's room…but how. I don't think I can hold the yarn in my right hand and learn to throw it without a lot of effort…

9. lisa says:

Hello,

I'm a beginner crocheter. Would you be able to give instructions on how to do it with a crochet hook?

10. Fatima says:

If I wanted to make this bigger in length how many more stitches could I add or would it matter ?

11. Fatima says:

Please let me rephrase that last comment .how many more stitches do I add for making the width wider ?

Hi Lisa,

A Google search of "loop stitch for continental knitters" brought up a few video tutorials. I hope one of them helps get you on the right path! Spoiler alert: It looks like you'll be using the thumb of your left hand!

Thanks so much for asking and please let us know how it goes!

Whitney

Hi Fatima,

This stitch pattern works over any number of stitches, so you can add as many as you'd like! If you're getting the same gauge as I did (16 3/4 stitches = 4 inches), then you'd add 17 stitches to add about 4 inches of width.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks for this one!

Whitney

Hi Lisa,

I've never crocheted a Loop Stitch, but a computer search of "loop stitch crochet" turned up lots of tutorials. I hope one of them helps!

Let us know how it goes and thank you so much for your question!

Whitney

15. I would love to use this method for the inside of a jacket!