Being partial to lore and a sucker for furry creatures with power, each year leading up to Groundhog’s Day I wonder what Punxsutawney Phil will predict. And each year, I am conflicted. Do I want the warmth and light that come with an early spring, or do I want six more weeks of winter cold so I can keep knitting with gloriously thick and wooly yarns?
Well, my ambivalence didn’t stop Phil from deciding. His decree: six more weeks of winter. But fear not, those who’ve grown weary of windburn, this Friendly Fair Isle Sweater is for you! Not only is it cuddly warm for an enduring winter season, but this punchy sweater also spreads the brightness and cheer of spring. And just in case Punxsutawney Phil’s meteorological skills aren’t quite on point this year, the Friendly Fair Isle is such a fun, quick knit, you’ll be weaving in your ends long before that early spring arrives!
I designed this no-fuss pullover with a classic cut and a raglan sleeve shoulder. And for speed and coziness, I used Purl Soho’s aptly named Super Soft Merino. The colors, I picked purposely to pop out like spring’s first flower buds peeking through the earth.
Since Phil is as unpredictable as the weather itself, I’m glad that this year I have my bases covered, a toasty sweater for winter, done well before spring… no matter when it comes!
For more information about the Friendly Fair Isle Sweater, please read below. And for the full pattern, please click here. -Laura
- Main Color (MC): 7 (8, 8, 9) skeins of Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino, 100% merino (each skein: 87 yards/100 grams). We used the color Sea Salt.
- Contrast Color (CC): 1 skein of Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino, 100% merino (each skein: 87 yards/100 grams). We used the color Super Pink.
- A US #11, 32-inch circular needle
- A US #11, 16-inch circular needle
- A set of US #11 double pointed needles
- 4 stitch markers (1 of which is of a different color or type to indicate beginning of round)
- 4 stitch holders or scrap yarn
- The Purl Soho Friendly Fair Isle Sweater pattern
The Friendly Fair Isle Sweater is designed with 4 inches of ease. It can, of course, be worn tighter with a 2-inch ease or looser with a 6-inch ease. Please pay close attention to the finished dimensions below when choosing which size to knit!
For a Women's XSmall (Small, Medium, Large)...
- Finished Chest Circumference: 36 (40, 44, 48) inches
- Finished Length from Shoulder to Bottom Edge: 22 3/4 (23, 23 1/4, 24) inches
- Finished Length from Underarm to Bottom Edge: 13 inches
- Finished Length from Cuff to Armhole: 18 1/2 (18 1/2, 19, 19) inches